PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
I did an experiment with this fine tobacco. The first few bowls I used the rub out method of preparing the sliced tobacco. Then filled the bowl to smoke. I thought the flavors were pretty good as described in the original post.
Then I decided to try the fold and stuff method. I thought it would be hard to keep lit but it was not. What was interesting was that the flavors were richer and stronger then the rub out method.
If you want stronger flavors out of this tobacco, use the fold and stuff method. I don't know why the flavors are bigger with this method. I guess compacted tobacco flakes smoke stronger, don't know, but I really like the results.
One more thing, smoke it slow. If you smoke it too fast all you get is straight forward strong tobacco flavors. Slow down the cadence, smoke it slow, and you will experience a range of flavors, from sweet, to bitter, to spicy, intense and rich.

CIMG2219SMALL.JPG

CIMG2222smallJPG.JPG

CIMG2224small.JPG

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
It comes in a solid brick that has to be sliced with a sharp knife and a heavy hand. It can be hard to slice if you have not tried slicing it before.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Huh. Interesting. Obviously, I (unfortunately) have nothing to say about P3, but I have found that the fold & stuff method to yield better taste for some blends, but I've had problems keeping most of my flakes lit with this method. The rub and loosely pack method works best for most flakes, though some I cut and gravity fill which works pretty good too. Again, some of these methods don't yield the taste of the fold & stuff method, but They stay lit far better.
-Jason

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Interesting review....my only experience with 3P was with rubbing it out thoroughly and I wasn't terribly impressed.....I'll try your technique next time.... :?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That was a very interesting post, stluisrey. I especially appreciate the pictures,

which greatly help to describe this unusual tobacco format. One of the nice things about the

brick is that you control the thickness of the flake. This makes it the ideal format for experimenting.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
One of the nice things about the

brick is that you control the thickness of the flake.
This has, in part, made me prefer plugs over other forms of tobacco (not that I disregard those).
Slice it thick for a long burn and sweeter flavor.
Slice it thin for a shorter burn and more intense savory flavors.
Cube it for a long sipping smoke, Va/Per style.
It keeps moisture well even in a tin, and is highly portable if you have a pocketknife and surface to cut on.
This particular plug is nearly perfect. If cut well, it has the stronger end of medium to strong nicotine dose, high flavor and a not-miserable room note.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I once cut my thumb deep and right through the nail slicing a flake off the plug.

It was pretty dumb, but I was using a razor sharp folding knife, and the last inch or so of plug rocked, and well

you know the rest.
The only thing that made up for it was the intoxicating flavor of PPP. Well, that and a huge rush of nicotine.
This is very tasty stuff. Great Review.

Status
Not open for further replies.