Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Hello fellow pipers. I thought I'd post my review of Peterson's 2015 St Patrick's Day Limited Edition here as there was a small thread about this coming out under the Pipe Tobacco Discussion section.
I purchased this from 4 Noggins with a two tin limit, so I snatched up my two. Very nicely done tin art in a 50 gram size tin. A nice mix of medium brown, light brown, and black cube cut tobaccos (slightly larger than most cube cuts I've been familiar with by the way), and a delicious tin note. I certainly was able to smell the various components that were listed on the tin as far as the aromatic elements go, although not much of a tobacco smell to speak of. That's ok as Peterson generally uses top notch tobaccos in all of their offerings. Considering the potent sweet and fruity tin note, this was not sticky to the touch at all. Very easy to load and took to the match readily. One relight was all that was needed to smoke this one down to the bottom. With many of the Peterson aromatics, I find that the aromatic component fades to a bitterness about mid bow, l but I have not found this to be the case with either of the two special edition offerings I have tried (the other being Holiday Season 2012).
This was a pleasant, non biting, didn't burn hot or gurgle at all type of smoke. After having had several bowls before reviewing, I found the aromatic taste lasting the entire smoke without accompanying bitterness. I really like the slightly larger cube cut as well - large enough cubes that they don't get caught in the draft hole of the pipe!
All in all a 4 star smoke for me and highly recommended for aromatic aficionados and those purists who may be looking for a change of pace in their smoking regime. For someone like me whose daily go-tos are Irish Flake and Solani's ABF, I will be stocking up on a few more tins of this before it's gone from the shelves.
Pipe Used: Dr Grabow slim billiard
Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin
Purchased From: 4Noggins.com
Similar Blends: Most of the other Peterson aromatic offerings.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the review. Good to hear you are pleased with this blend as I have 2 tins on the way from smokingpipes. :puffy:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I got my 2 tins today, smells really fruity, like the description! Smoke some tomorrow.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
My daughter is in Dublin today and stopped by the Peterson store and picked me up a couple of these tins. What a thoughtful young woman.

Jan 8, 2013
I got my tins in the mail today, (Note to self 2 day priority shipping with USPS means 6 days snail mail) and I'm smoking some right now in my 2015 St. Patty Pipe. I'm definitely ordering more. Doc gave a good review above, so I'm not going to steal his thunder. I will say this, however. Opening the tin you are blessed with an intoxicating aroma. The tin note alone is almost reason enough to purchase this. If I could get the aroma in a candle scent, I'd be all over it. Now, I have had to relight a couple times, but understand the pipe is brand new as well, and hasn't had much breaking in time. Still... two relights is not a problem at all. The room note is wonderful, and the sweetness is there in taste. All around I'm having a great smoke. And lots of smoke. I'll give this 4 stars any day.

Jan 8, 2013
An update on my first bowl of this tobacco... It became a four relight smoke :lol: by the time I was finished. But that's ok, I still give it 4 stars. For the record, however I don't count the usual relight shortly after charring light as tobacco usually goes out after that first light anyway. And although I've had a few bowls of different blends that seemed to want to keep burning, if it doesn't go out on it's own, I'll usually quit sipping and let it do so. This one took me a couple charring lights to get it going, but afterward burned pretty well.
@Shane: I agree, there is a nice rum taste.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I received a couple tins in the mail and was going to wait until St Patrick's Day to try it. Decided to open one sooner and have a bowl and I'm glad I did. Lovely tin note and a very flavourful tasty smoke. Already ordered a few more tins to throw in the cellar. A very nice tobacco indeed. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.