PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I stumbled upon a Peterson/Zippo gift box and was wondering if anyone has seen this combo in person? It is a Peterson Classic Pipe 106 (what the description on box says) and a Zippo pipe lighter with the Peterson logo on it. It can be bought here for $72.95 shipped with a retail price of $115 (I have heard from people that is the B&M price not just a bs price they are sticking on there).
The lighter alone is worth $20-$30 so that leaves me wondering if this is a $40-$50 pipe or a nicer one? My girlfriend has been asking for me to jot down what I would want as far as pipes go for my birthday or Christmas (this is a big step for her to do this) so I was thinking of referring her to this but I would hate for her to buy it and it be a crappy pipe and me never use it. Any insight would be helpful fellas.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I initially thought that pipe looked to be a Peterson Donegal and upon reading more reviews I find that to be true. Therefore, the pipe alone is already worth $70 so this seems like a no brainer purchase price wise. Does anyone own a Donegal?

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Most of the pipes I've seen in that set are Donagal Rocky's. There were some smooth Sterling Silver sets around a few years ago but I think those are all gone.

For what it's worth, I've never had a bad smoking Donagal Rocky. They tend to take more bowls to break in but once they are, they are hard to beat.

Congratulations on your girlfriend coming around to your pipe smoking. I am sincerly happy for you. I hope you have a wonderful lifetime with her.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I got the combo :). The pipe is great, although the band isn't silver and it has the zippo logo on it (thee pipe itself has the Peterson logo). It will take some getting used to using the pipe zippo but my first try went well.
The size of the pipe is a bit bigger than a medium one. I'd say it has a large bowl. I'll ask my wife to take some pictures this weekend since she is the better photographer in the family.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here is the one I have. I would say it is a medium / small size pipe. The price tag says $99, and that is what I paid plus 6% Florida sales tax. I bought it at a collectibles shop at The Pier in St. Pete around Christmas time last year and haven't smoked it.
peterson-zippo-01.jpg

peterson-zippo-02.jpg

peterson-zippo-03.jpg

peterson-zippo-04.jpg

peterson-zippo-05.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the pictures Kevin. I really like that one and can't seem to find it anywhere. They have a new one with a billiard instead of the bent which looks nice too. I really like the grain on that one though.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The collectibles shop had a few of them when I bought mine several months ago. Maybe you want to give him a call? He ships.
DD Collectables

800 Second Ave

Suite #1009

St. Petersburg, FL 33701

(727) 822-2206

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I already have that Peterson system pipe, so I got this combo:
5028814174_c68daaf6a0_b.jpg

And here is a closer look at the Donegal pipe:
5028197719_9a2fe1c26b_b.jpg

I've been looking for a sandblast for my collection and for a pipe lighter so this combo works well for me.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Really well! I tried it yesterday evening and on friday. It is pre-blackened and not the usual Peterson-varnish-in-the-bowl style.

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
Wallbright, I received the exact same set you put in that photo for my birthday last week. I am breaking it in right now, smoked three half bowls in it so far. The first two bowls I had a hard time with, but the third bowl I really enjoyed. I imagine tomorrow when I fire it up again it'll only be better. And I love the zippo lighter!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Please continue to keep me posted on how you fellas like the set. It might be a birthday present to myself this year.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
That Donegal pipe is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It just feels nice in the hand and has a large enough bowl for a nice long smoke.
The zippo on the other hand is slightly unreliable. It works well indoors but not outside. I guess I'll look it up to see what can be done about it.

May 4, 2015
Extreme bump. I hopped on here and searched for info and landed on this thread. I just saw a Zippo/Peterson/Sherlock with the bent Rocky at a shady kiosk in the mall. He was selling it for $149. I didn't seriously consider it, but thought it was neat the nickel band was stamped Zippo. The pipe seemed to be smoked as well, which I thought was odd. I just said "thanks for showing it to me" and bolted. I could see it being worth $80-100 for a new set though.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"The zippo on the other hand is slightly unreliable. It works well indoors but not outside"
The Strong-suit of the Zippo is its ne plus ultra abilities out-of-doors. Love Zombie Threads

May 4, 2015
I wish the price wasn't ridiculous for the one I saw. The pipe needed a little help, which is fine, but the zippo would be a neat piece to have. Even with my current annoyance with my zippos.

Status
Not open for further replies.