PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I've liked University Flake for years. For me it has a blueberry aroma and taste. Not heavy but any means, but it's definitely there. I have to smoke it in a Savinelli or Rossi because of the need of the charcoal filter. I get tongue bite very easily. Has nothing to do with cadence, or packing. It's a certain chemical that is in the PG, casing or topping. There are a bunch of tobaccos that cause this with me. I love the taste and aroma of MacBaren tobaccos, but it literally fries my whole mouth. With UF I dry it, then rub it out to a very fine ribbon and then I gently sip it.

WilliamZ

Lurker
May 22, 2024
I've liked University Flake for years. For me it has a blueberry aroma and taste. Not heavy but any means, but it's definitely there. I have to smoke it in a Savinelli or Rossi because of the need of the charcoal filter. I get tongue bite very easily. Has nothing to do with cadence, or packing. It's a certain chemical that is in the PG, casing or topping. Students today often face a heavy workload, making it challenging to keep up with all their assignments. However, using a service like https://essay-company.org/write-my-essay/ can make things much easier. It’s a helpful option that every student should consider trying. There are a bunch of tobaccos that cause this with me. I love the taste and aroma of MacBaren tobaccos, but it literally fries my whole mouth. With UF I dry it, then rub it out to a very fine ribbon and then I gently sip it.

It’s great that you’ve found a way to enjoy University Flake despite the challenges with tongue bite. That blueberry aroma you mentioned is definitely something a lot of people pick up on, and it seems to be a favorite for many. Drying it out and rubbing it into a fine ribbon sounds like a smart move to help with the burn.

Last edited:

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I haven't ever tried any of the Dunhill/Peterson blends but I picked up a tin of this stuff a month or so ago to try out. I'm really not sure if I'm going to like it as I generally only smoke minimally/uncased C&D blends nowadays.

RL Bucktails

Might Stick Around
Apr 23, 2024
Pascack Valley
Funny review. I just never liked this one very much. The artificial plum flavoring ruins it for me. My theory is that these types of flavorings were meant to simulate what perique does to a blend, but they usually fall short for me.
Thank you, finally the description I have been looking for. I have Wallace flake, which is compared by some to University flake, and found the taste artificial candy and overpowering. Shame because it’s good tobacco. I will pass on this one.

JoburgB2

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
I quite enjoy University Flake but haven’t had in several years. I have probably had a dozen tins to experience. I did not detect anything off putting or artificial tasting whatever that means. It was the first flake I tried along with a tin of Erinmore flake. I agree with others about the plum or berry note, but it tasted more of strong burley and Virginia to me. I vividly recall that after lighting up the very first time and getting through the first third of the bowl, having a dramatic feeling of nicotine effect for the first time. I was dizzy and glad I was already sitting down, almost “geein’ me the boak!“ But that was twenty years ago and a reaction that since has not been duplicated. I also smoked it in a Randburg bar once, back in a time and a place when that sort of thing was permitted, and got several approving comments on the aroma from my drinking buddies and strangers. So if the OP was asking for a recommendation, my opinion is Yes, try it.

Reactions: BingBong

JoburgB2

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
This is one of my favorite blends. Typically smoked in the spring/summer. Love the light plum topping. Love the strength.
And I am sure that several tins of University Flake were purchased by me right there from the boys at McCranie’s, during the years I lived in Charlotte. But they had so many selection options it was hard to choose!

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I'd forgotten, because I only smoked a couple of tins ages ago - the final third of a bowl can give good emergent burley flavour and, almost unexpectedly, a pretty robust nicotine kick. It caught me off guard a couple of times!

Reactions: JoburgB2

JoburgB2

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
I'd forgotten, because I only smoked a couple of tins ages ago - the final third of a bowl can give good emergent burley flavour and, almost unexpectedly, a pretty robust nicotine kick. It caught me off guard a couple of times!
I second that entirely! It caught me off guard. That’s it! But hasn’t happened since. My first tin of it was around 2004 but could have been a few years old when purchased. I don’t know the dates but might have been from the Murray’s production days? Maybe that was a factor. Nonetheless, University Flake will have a place in my cupboard for nostalgia for the name with the double meaning. Cheers!

Reactions: BingBong

JoburgB2

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2024
Dundee, Scotland
I second that entirely! It caught me off guard. That’s it! But hasn’t happened since. My first tin of it was around 2004 but could have been a few years old when purchased. I don’t know the dates but might have been from the Murray’s production days? Maybe that was a factor. Nonetheless, University Flake will have a place in my cupboard for nostalgia for the name with the double meaning. Cheers!
According to Bing, Murray, Sons and Company ceased production of Peterson’s line of pipe tobacco brands in 2005 when the company closed its factory. This marked the end of an era for the Belfast-based manufacturer, which had been producing high-quality pipe tobacco for many years.