PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Moved from FS thread to General. 2-4-24.

Sorry for not having the exact model number for my Peterson, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if I can change out for a fishtail stem and if so, where could I find one? Also, if it’s possible and available… any idea of cost?

I really don’t like the p-lip stem and if I can’t replace the stem, I would be interested in selling or trading, if anyone is interested. The pipe is beautiful and only smoked 4 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Friendly Piper

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Sorry for not having the exact model number for my Peterson, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if I can change out for a fishtail stem and if so, where could I find one? Also, if it’s possible and available… any idea of cost?

I really don’t like the p-lip stem and if I can’t replace the stem, I would be interested in selling or trading, if anyone is interested. The pipe is beautiful and only smoked 4 times.
I’ve done some research on this and, unfortunately, it looks like there’s no real option to swap out one type of stem for the other.

If you’re willing to give yours a little more time, two things may help. (Of course, I don’t know you and your pipe smoking habits, so please take this as gentle encouragement from someone who initially didn’t like the p-lip but now owns and enjoys two of them!)

First, I found that my first Peterson p-lip (a 312 System pipe, which is the second briar pipe I bought) was unforgiving of my beginner’s smoking habits (too fast, too hot). For me, at least, a big part of the issue was the temperature and velocity of the stream of smoke I was drawing into my mouth. Now that I pack more lightly, char more gently, puff more slowly, and don’t view relights as some sort of failure, the p-lip works beautifully. Which is why I bought a second one!

Second, it can help to very slightly adjust the angle of the pipe as you hold or clench it. There are parts of my palate that are more comfortable being hit with the smoke, and I find that a tiny change in how the p-lip is positioned can make a huge difference for me.

I hope this is helpful—good luck!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I don't need any more help getting roof rash. I do it just fine with a fishtail puffy

Dear God,

I would never dare question you in your glorious and magnanimous wisdom. If you decide that sending me to hell would be best, please allow me a meer or a basket briar. I ask that you please not cast me into eternal damnation with all the other poor souls smoking p-lips.

Amen.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I’ve done some research on this and, unfortunately, it looks like there’s no real option to swap out one type of stem for the other.

If you’re willing to give yours a little more time, two things may help. (Of course, I don’t know you and your pipe smoking habits, so please take this as gentle encouragement from someone who initially didn’t like the p-lip but now owns and enjoys two of them!)

First, I found that my first Peterson p-lip (a 312 System pipe, which is the second briar pipe I bought) was unforgiving of my beginner’s smoking habits (too fast, too hot). For me, at least, a big part of the issue was the temperature and velocity of the stream of smoke I was drawing into my mouth. Now that I pack more lightly, char more gently, puff more slowly, and don’t view relights as some sort of failure, the p-lip works beautifully. Which is why I bought a second one!

Second, it can help to very slightly adjust the angle of the pipe as you hold or clench it. There are parts of my palate that are more comfortable being hit with the smoke, and I find that a tiny change in how the p-lip is positioned can make a huge difference for me.

I hope this is helpful—good luck!
Thank you for the suggestions! I do admit that I haven’t smoked it since I’ve learned how to pack lighter, sip rather than puff and I used to puff hard, and fast to avoid relights as I felt that made the smoke too hot. Maybe I should apply what I’ve learned and give it another try! Thanks again!

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Thank you for the suggestions! I do admit that I haven’t smoked it since I’ve learned how to pack lighter, sip rather than puff and I used to puff hard, and fast to avoid relights as I felt that made the smoke too hot. Maybe I should apply what I’ve learned and give it another try! Thanks again!

Hope you have an experience similar to mine! Let me know how it works out.

Reactions: Relax62 and seanv

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Ahhhh the good Ole Peterson Patented P-lip pipe. Many companies copied for a reason because they actually do something. I'm not saying that it changed for the better or the worse but it does make a difference. Weather they are better or not is not the question but weather the do something to the smoke in which a fishtail does not. It does take some getting used to but some of my most tasty smokes came from a plip.