SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 14, 2021
We know the cosmetic differences but how do they smoke? Are they the same or is there a difference? I did a side by side smoke off of the two to see if I could discover a difference and the following is what I discovered.

The standard has an acrylic tenon. The premier and deluxe has an aluminum tenon that extends farther down into the mortise. The p-lips I’ve noticed on standard pipes tends to be shaped differently than SOME of the deluxe models as clearly demonstrated in the photos.

The mortise on the deluxe is also larger. Looking down in I can see down the draft hole with ease and I can see down into the well. The standard has a step inside the mortise above the draft hole and a smaller mortise over all.

How do they smoke???

Going off of the flavor and for a lack of better term the texture and feel of the smoke I can’t really tell the difference. The moisture level of the smoke is something I don’t know how to measure but they feel the same. The only discernible difference I believe is the retrohale of Virginias. In the deluxe I wasn’t getting as stingy of a feeling on the nostrils. I compared this at length, sipping coffee in between and trying them in different orders, at different stages, and I’m convinced the retrohale is more pleasant in the deluxe.

The extra large flatter p-lip on the deluxe is by far the best p-lip ever and all of them should have this. It would change opinions on some non-p-lip smokers I believe. It works better, is easier to use properly, and feels better. This isn’t the case on all deluxes but they tend to be better then the standards.

Another difference is the whistle. Standard Systems have a whistle of wind when you inhale, the deluxe is almost silent and very smooth. It’s a little difference that I appreciate. The draw is smoother, quieter, and has less turbulence if that makes sense. It’s a better draw let’s just say that.

When taken apart I notice the aluminum condenser is coated with moisture where as the acrylic tenon not so much. Both wells seemed to have given me the same amount of moisture when mopped up.

Cleaning these pipes after smoking them discovered something interesting. Now I disassemble and clean my pipes throughly with everclear after every smoke. So they were both equally clean at the start. After smoking the same tobacco and the same amount of it I discovered that running a pipe cleaner though the stem of the deluxe the pipe cleaner came out pretty clean. However the pipe cleaner ran though the standard came out with more brown residue on it. Does this mean the deluxe did in fact keep more moisture out? ?

This is far from scientific however it preliminary results may appear that to be the case.

So what’s the verdict?

I’m a big fan of system pipes. I love how they smoke and operate. Is the premier and deluxe worth the extra money? If you have it to spend I think so. There’s little differences like the retrohale, the volume, feel, and sound of air when drawn, the nicer p-lip. The silver work and aesthetics aside I feel there is a slight difference in how they smoke. Both will work and give you a great smoke with no gurgle, no liquid in the bit, or debris drawn up to the bit and into your mouth.

However there is an edge and advantage to the deluxe over a standard. Is it worth the price?I think so. What are your thoughts and experiences between the standard, premier, and deluxe?

Thanks

A035DBE0-3413-4890-A23B-EBE22F31A1A6.jpegD31E04D1-835D-459E-AD06-7EA6052DCB40.jpegAF1E3309-9B24-4426-90F6-4D9102F7F355.jpegE14D8046-FE1F-44C8-94F3-C2D5E7D45C8C.jpegC9D2CFFF-7F41-4B6C-9128-EEC606C63BF9.jpegC097B8D7-E2FE-40B0-A2CE-5210C8DEFFFF.jpeg

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
I think the deluxe smokes a bit cooler and drier than the standard. I don't think the aluminum itself makes a difference, i think it's that it sticks down a bit further into the well. this will cause a bit more turbulence and swirl in the condensation chamber, which will cause more moisture to precipitate. I agree that the stems seem to be much nicer as well.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
The gap in the stem of the deluxe Peterson pipes is an interesting design choice. I reckon it is done to prevent having to make a custom stem for each pipe. It is essentially a military mount.

I kinda like it on the 4s Deluxe Peterson in the way that it is so ugly/rough looking that it makes a statement. You don’t pick Peterson for refined design or shaping in my opinion.

Sep 14, 2021
The gap in the stem of the deluxe Peterson pipes is an interesting design choice. I reckon it is done to prevent having to make a custom stem for each pipe. It is essentially a military mount.

I kinda like it on the 4s Deluxe Peterson in the way that it is so ugly/rough looking that it makes a statement. You don’t pick Peterson for refined design or shaping in my opinion.
My understanding is that because the stem needs to be removed after every smoke that over many years of daily smoking (back then a man only had 1-2 pipes) the tolerances wouldn’t hold up and the tenon would no longer be able to be held in place in the shank. What they did however was to make the tenon extra long and tapered and drill the mortise deeper so that there was always a part of the tenon that the mortise could grab to be held in place. I have seen very old deluxes where the stem is almost flush. I presume from many years of removing and inserting the stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What are we talking about in terms of price difference for approximately the same shape and size pipe from regular to deluxe? I have a number of Petersons, but no systems. I've been lucky, even during Peterson's "bad" period, in terms of quality control. My Petes have worn exceedingly well, with no moisture problems.

Sep 14, 2021
What are we talking about in terms of price difference for approximately the same shape and size pipe from regular to deluxe? I have a number of Petersons, but no systems. I've been lucky, even during Peterson's "bad" period, in terms of quality control. My Petes have worn exceedingly well, with no moisture problems.
It is usually $100+ more for a deluxe model depending on the finish.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
They all smoke well. I only have House Pipe as deluxe, still haven't seen good natural finish I want, and it seems current stems are acrylic other than House Pipe. Main difference between Premier and Standard seems to be briar finish and silver band. Otherwise, the internals are same. Deluxe on the other hand, has that Al condenser. Then there is System Spigot. Other than Deluxe they seem to smoke same to me. Maybe because my Deluxe is a House Pipe, it just seems to smoke little smoother. Probably, it doesn't, but all in my head.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a number of both. They smoke pretty much the same to me.

I prefer the Deluxe over the Standard, but that's just a personal preference.

The stem extension or "Chimney" has been made of bone, bakelite, and aluminum over the years. Really no reason to remove it...

The mortise and tenon on the Deluxe is cut at a 1.5 degree angle to accommodate for wear over time. I've never seen any appreciable wear that would close the gap to such a degree that it nearly non existent on even older ones. Some people sand the tenon to accomplish that. Which accomplishes a poor fitting tenon...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
We know the cosmetic differences but how do they smoke? Are they the same or is there a difference? I did a side by side smoke off of the two to see if I could discover a difference and the following is what I discovered.

The standard has an acrylic tenon. The premier and deluxe has an aluminum tenon that extends farther down into the mortise. The p-lips I’ve noticed on standard pipes tends to be shaped differently than SOME of the deluxe models as clearly demonstrated in the photos.

The mortise on the deluxe is also larger. Looking down in I can see down the draft hole with ease and I can see down into the well. The standard has a step inside the mortise above the draft hole and a smaller mortise over all.

How do they smoke???

Going off of the flavor and for a lack of better term the texture and feel of the smoke I can’t really tell the difference. The moisture level of the smoke is something I don’t know how to measure but they feel the same. The only discernible difference I believe is the retrohale of Virginias. In the deluxe I wasn’t getting as stingy of a feeling on the nostrils. I compared this at length, sipping coffee in between and trying them in different orders, at different stages, and I’m convinced the retrohale is more pleasant in the deluxe.

The extra large flatter p-lip on the deluxe is by far the best p-lip ever and all of them should have this. It would change opinions on some non-p-lip smokers I believe. It works better, is easier to use properly, and feels better. This isn’t the case on all deluxes but they tend to be better then the standards.

Another difference is the whistle. Standard Systems have a whistle of wind when you inhale, the deluxe is almost silent and very smooth. It’s a little difference that I appreciate. The draw is smoother, quieter, and has less turbulence if that makes sense. It’s a better draw let’s just say that.

When taken apart I notice the aluminum condenser is coated with moisture where as the acrylic tenon not so much. Both wells seemed to have given me the same amount of moisture when mopped up.

Cleaning these pipes after smoking them discovered something interesting. Now I disassemble and clean my pipes throughly with everclear after every smoke. So they were both equally clean at the start. After smoking the same tobacco and the same amount of it I discovered that running a pipe cleaner though the stem of the deluxe the pipe cleaner came out pretty clean. However the pipe cleaner ran though the standard came out with more brown residue on it. Does this mean the deluxe did in fact keep more moisture out? ?

This is far from scientific however it preliminary results may appear that to be the case.

So what’s the verdict?

I’m a big fan of system pipes. I love how they smoke and operate. Is the premier and deluxe worth the extra money? If you have it to spend I think so. There’s little differences like the retrohale, the volume, feel, and sound of air when drawn, the nicer p-lip. The silver work and aesthetics aside I feel there is a slight difference in how they smoke. Both will work and give you a great smoke with no gurgle, no liquid in the bit, or debris drawn up to the bit and into your mouth.

However there is an edge and advantage to the deluxe over a standard. Is it worth the price?I think so. What are your thoughts and experiences between the standard, premier, and deluxe?

Thanks

View attachment 97558View attachment 97559View attachment 97560View attachment 97561View attachment 97562View attachment 97563
I think I would dislike the decreased angle on the deluxe though...

Reactions: Friendly Piper

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
I currently only own 1 deluxe (another 2 on the way) and 1 standard. And though they are not the same shape (# wise), they are both full bend billiards and the deluxe is a far drier smoker. It seems to me the tenon of the standard is right in line with the draught hole and any condensation collects there and is sucked into the stem. It is my least smoked pipe (standard 314) as it even smokes wetter than my non-system bent pipes. I plan on tapping the tenon and adding the aluminum extension if SP ever gets them back in stock.

Reactions: Nevaditude