PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I believe we have brand loyalists to any maker who has more than a dozen pipes in smoker's hands!

FWIW:

My favorite is Kennedy Barnes, may he r.i.p.. And so far I've not seen nor heard any detractors of his work nor his personality, both of which were gems. And I doubt I will.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not to brag but I currently own about 150 pipes mostly Petes and some artesian and all of them have produced a gurgle at some point.
If your tobacco is too moist or you just happen to produce a lot of saliva then that just about sums it up. :sher:

That is impressive! (The Petes, not the gurgling).

Might you and a few others in this thread consider:
Putting your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: Streeper541
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Like I said, I have but one Peterson, one Kawoodie 13B, one...yada, yada, yada... How many do you really need to have an opinion? 2, 6, 15? If one has 50 Petes, are they more knowledgable? I think not because a person with one negative experience is unlikely to continue down the same path unless they realise skill is involved with anything worth doing.

If you use a brand and have a good experience, the chances that you will consider the same brand when you again need a smoking device.

While I do like the famed Italian brand, I already have that "author" shape.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
They aren't. Some folks make a career out of bad mouthing X pipe brand or Y tobacco blend.
Although yes, truly, badmouthing, but not a career, featuring unsubstantiated accusations.

One cannot make a case for the efficaciousness of Peterson's quality control but instead for its nonexistence. Now if your process can use some fine-tuning, so what? Poor performance is a hallmark of human affairs. Excellence takes years or decades to construct. It is a fact, though it pisses off Peterson lovers. Peterson produces more than their share of defects.

The problem is not that they do so but that doing so they fob defective pipes off on a public that will pay for the tarnished article. They knowingly go on producing defects because the owners want to continue shoddy work because they perceive in such that their profits, as they are now, are guaranteed. Probably the most glaring of these defects is poor drilling. OK, that is easily corrected. Pull some urchin off the street and pay him under the table and half the minimum wage, and task him to insert a pipe cleaner into the chamber and check the draft.

But, it is just a matter of time until SP's quality catches up with selling defective pipes. Chuck Stanion said that he has never been a part of an organization so committed to quality. I believe him, which means that unfortunately I need to let go of Peterson bashing, because SP's is taking care of it.

Reactions: Streeper541
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, how did I receive such a wonderfully smoking Peterson? And. how to explain the other folks here who have enjoyed the same.

My recommendation is to stop the nonsensical overgeneralizations. I mean the brand has been around longer that you perhaps and have millions of fans and customers.

Reactions: SaxonX and paulfg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Attributions are seriously messed up here. Apparently the quote in bold was in a different thread, and not by seacock (?) Then a post out of the blue with no quote at all.

Let's give this one another day. Can anyone respond to the questions re attributions at least?