New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I have a Kaywoodie 13B that gurgled when I first got it. It improved as I improved. Now it no longer gurgles.

Consciously or unconsciously, we learn to smoke a particular pipe. So, no, I do not agree the system is a joke nor do I think Peterson does not make a good pipe. In the original All Creatures Great and Small. every pipe smoker was smoking a Peterson.

Perhaps there is a benefit from havintg a few rather than dozens of pipes since we may be able to get all of them to provide the quality of use we desire.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I have a Peterson System, the Ebony 307 model. No matter what weather, humidity, or tobacco I put in it, it ALWAYS gurgles. What gives?
I thought the whole point of the Peterson System pipes was to eliminate pipe gurgle.

As it happens, I have been using my first System pipe for the last month or so and it provides a rather dry, pleasant smoke! My only true complaint with it is that when I go to dump ashes, especially with the stem removed, the collected moisture dumps out, too. And I'm not one for the moist tobaccos: I prefer reasonably dry English blends.

So, if it gurgles, then I would guess there is something not quite right with it, unless you have a very moist tobacco that created so much liquid as to overflow the reservoir back into the draught hole.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Not necessarily. The natural biproduct of combustion is h2o. I dry my tobacco to enhance the flavors and prevent "too much" steam from burning my tongue. But, there is always going to be some water after smoking, no matter how dry we get the tobacco.
Ah ... so right you are. I forgot about that physical aspect of burning combustibles.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'll start a riot!!! Personally I think the Peterson "dry system" is a joke. Any tobacco that is so wet that it needs to drip down into a well is just plain wrong. Dry out the tobacco. I feel the "dry system" is just a marketing gimmick. Ok, bring on the hate mail.
Digging up threads on different forums and pasting the same reply is kind of a gimmick as well.

Reactions: paulfg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Digging up threads on different forums and pasting the same reply is kind of a gimmick as well.
It's not a gimmick, it's a way of getting the most info. When I decided to start doing forums it made sense to me to do several. Unless I'm mistaken, and I doubt I am, not everyone is on any one forum. I'll continue to use several forums to gleam as much as I can. Isn't that the whole idea? And, if you'll notice, they are not simply replys, they're usually questions or a new subject.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
It's not a gimmick, it's a way of getting the most info. When I decided to start doing forums it made sense to me to do several. Unless I'm mistaken, and I doubt I am, not everyone is on any one forum. I'll continue to use several forums to gleam as much as I can. Isn't that the whole idea? And, if you'll notice, they are not simply replys, they're usually questions or a new subject.
You are digging up old threads and posting troll replies.
It may be fine here. Have fun.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I'm new to this so to me there are no "old threads and postings".

I'm learning already. If you criticize a pipe brand that a person likes, some people, instead of refuting your remark, will launch a personal attack.

I'm new to this so to me there are no "old threads and postings".

I'm learning already. If you criticize a pipe brand that a person likes, some people, instead of refuting your remark, will launch a personal attack.
Yeh, Petersons are a tricky thing to criticize. It’s ok not to like them. I’m not a fan. But, it’s fans are devout. Some things are worth getting dirty over, and some things aren’t. Peterson isn’t the hill I want to die on.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Here we go on Peterson again.Mr. Vincent Senior at the Barclay Rex pipe shop used to smoke Peterson system pipes constantly. In mid stroke,he would pull out the stem,pour out the collected moisture (and there was quite a bit of it),re-insert the stem,refill,relight without missing a beat.Guess it's just a matter of preference. I've never had problems with any system pipe as far as smoking quality goes.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Here we go on Peterson again.Mr. Vincent Senior at the Barclay Rex pipe shop used to smoke Peterson system pipes constantly. In mid stroke,he would pull out the stem,pour out the collected moisture (and there was quite a bit of it),re-insert the stem,refill,relight without missing a beat.Guess it's just a matter of preference. I've never had problems with any system pipe as far as smoking quality goes.
That's an interesting story. We can learn three things from it... maybe more. First: Mr. Vincent kept his tobacco way too wet. Second: If you overload enough liquid into a Peterson, the well will actually help. So in that extreme case I stand corrected. Third: My Vincent must have been a strange duck!

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Not to brag but I currently own about 150 pipes mostly Petes and some artesian and all of them have produced a gurgle at some point.
If your tobacco is too moist or you just happen to produce a lot of saliva then that just about sums it up. :sher:

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
That's an interesting story. We can learn three things from it... maybe more. First: Mr. Vincent kept his tobacco way too wet. Second: If you overload enough liquid into a Peterson, the well will actually help. So in that extreme case I stand corrected. Third: My Vincent must have been a strange duck!
Not at all.Just a lean,mean smoking machine.

Reactions: jpmcwjr