PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
If you dislike gurgle, how are you with dipping and ridiculously off drilling? All of the above make the case to never own Petersons, but if one has gotten lodged in your rotation, never ever ever smoke it. Throw it out at your first opportunity. Nasty!
I didn't realize they were so bad

Reactions: Kal

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I do find the system pipes CAN accumulate moisture, but I put this down to the fact that I find them comfortable to clench and can allow them to get hot sometimes without realising, because the moisture is not as noticeable early as a pipe without a system.

If smoked considerately, they will stay as dry as any other smoke.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
If you dislike gurgle, how are you with dipping and ridiculously off drilling? All of the above make the case to never own Petersons, but if one has gotten lodged in your rotation, never ever ever smoke it. Throw it out at your first opportunity. Nasty!
I think you've been out of smoking and/or use of Peterson pipes for too long and no longer have an objective view of their current quality as your comments are too hyperbolic.

Aug 1, 2012
Have you narrowed down the area of gurgling to any specific part of the pipe such as draft hole or stem? That can help with answers. Also, they are easily disassembled for such a purpose.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
How often do you clean your pipe? Do you clean out mortise? Do you dry out you pipe after each smoke? Have you try running pipe cleaner when it's gurgling to see if the problem goes away? Where is the moisture build up? In the shank? Stem? Mortise? Bottom of the chamber?

I have 4 system pipes. None of them gurgles. Another 30 or so Peterson pipes. None of them gurgles either.

Some people had some bad experience with Peterson pipes. I heard the stories. And I have heard the stories about other brands. But Peterson always smokes great for me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I didn't realize they were so bad
It seems like there was a period where their bottom of the line pipes had some issues. I also think from what I've heard about all factory pipe brands there are sometimes duds and Petersons sell a lot of pipes. You know that old if ten percent of all blanks are defective and brand a sells a million blanks where brand b sells half a million blanks, then there are more defective blanks for brand a. That's my theory. The two Petersons I have are both great pipes that I adore and cherish. The one even is literally my best smoker and favorite daily rotation pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So is this a regular issue with system pipes? Is the moisture trap supposed to prevent gurgle?

Reactions: mingc