PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
I’m on the hunt for an estate Peterson System 317. I’m looking for one with a vulcanite stem and it seems all the new 317’s besides the spigots are acrylic stems. I don’t want to get a spigot because this will be a work pipe so I’m just looking for the army mount. If anyone happens to know where I could find one or knows someone that is willing to part with one, I’d appreciate a heads up. I tried posting a WTB thread in the pipe/accessories for sale forum but my post got removed. A mod told me that wasn’t the place to post such a thing. Is there a certain place on here where I can post a WTB pipe thread? And I’m assuming a mod might delete this one too, so if that’s the case, can the mod point me in the right direction instead of just telling me I’m not in the right place? Thanks!

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I’m on the hunt for an estate Peterson System 317. I’m looking for one with a vulcanite stem and it seems all the new 317’s besides the spigots are acrylic stems. I don’t want to get a spigot because this will be a work pipe so I’m just looking for the army mount. If anyone happens to know where I could find one or knows someone that is willing to part with one, I’d appreciate a heads up. I tried posting a WTB thread in the pipe/accessories for sale forum but my post got removed. A mod told me that wasn’t the place to post such a thing. Is there a certain place on here where I can post a WTB pipe thread? And I’m assuming a mod might delete this one too, so if that’s the case, can the mod point me in the right direction instead of just telling me I’m not in the right place? Thanks!
I'll rush a reply before the thread gets deleted...🤞🤞

For the record: I'm cranky, and don't like new things, such as acrylic stems!

But, I just had to have a blasted 311 system pipe seen on SP. Guess what? The acrylic stem is better in every way to the vulcanite stem on the system pipes that have passed through my hands. How a pipe feels in the mouth is obviously personal, but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like my new Peterson.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I don’t really mind the acrylic P-Lip stems either. The radius on the back is a little tighter, and has a larger “hump”, but that’s OK.

Easy way to find a pipe I’m looking for: Just set up a saved search on eBay. Something will come around eventually. Might take a little time.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Here's one:

Reactions: Qball89

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I'll rush a reply before the thread gets deleted...🤞🤞

For the record: I'm cranky, and don't like new things, such as acrylic stems!

But, I just had to have a blasted 311 system pipe seen on SP. Guess what? The acrylic stem is better in every way to the vulcanite stem on the system pipes that have passed through my hands. How a pipe feels in the mouth is obviously personal, but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like my new Peterson.
Totally agree. Acrylic doesn't have that sulfer tinge to it. At least to me vulcanite seems to taste that way.

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
I don’t mind acrylic stems at all for most pipes. But since I’m looking to use it as a work pipe, it will be clenched a lot and the acrylic starts to hurt my teeth after they’ve been clenched for any period of time. I will probably just end up getting a new one at some point if I can’t find one with a vulcanite stem.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm sure I just saw one on Etsy less than 5 minutes ago...........
Edit: I just went back and looked around but can't find it; but I think their search function sucks sometimes.
Maybe your search would be different.

Reactions: Qball89

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
I'm sure I just saw one on Etsy less than 5 minutes ago...........
Edit: I just went back and looked around but can't find it; but I think their search function sucks sometimes.
Maybe your search would be different.
Yea I looked not long after you posted that and you are very correct. Their search function leaves a lot to be desired, to be nice.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I would send an email to smokingpipes.eu and ask them if they have one or an irish second on hand in 317 shape.
They have an estate 317 system with vulcanite stem for 75 euros:

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
I would send an email to smokingpipes.eu and ask them if they have one or an irish second on hand in 317 shape.
They have an estate 317 system with vulcanite stem for 75 euros:
Thanks! I’m going to email them and find out. I appreciate it!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
They don’t like specific “WTB this pipe” posts in the Pipes and Accessories forum.
The Tobak for sale/swap forum is the only one that allows “WTB this particular thing” posts.

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
They don’t like specific “WTB this pipe” posts in the Pipes and Accessories forum.
The Tobak for sale/swap forum is the only one that allows “WTB this particular thing” posts.
Ok. I wonder why they let you post WTB for tobacco but not for pipes… I don’t see too many of those for tobacco and wouldn’t think you’d see too many for pipes either, granted I could be wrong and way off there. Regardless, I appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions. 👍🏻

Reactions: AroEnglish