Peterson Spigot - Inconsistent Logo Stamping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I purchased and received in the mail a beautiful Peterson Ebony spigot about a month ago and immediately fell in love with its looks, construction, and smoking characteristics - very smooth and dry. Now I'm hooked on the Pete spigots and recently ordered my second, with an eye out on yet a third. One thing I noticed is that the logo stamping on the silver parts of the ferrule and on the stem aren't always oriented in the same direction. For the most part they are oriented 'right side up'. That is to say that they are stamped in a readable manner when the pipe, if bent, sits with the stem up. But I've come across instances where the logo is stamped 'upside down', sometimes it's stamped both ways on the same pipe. Is there any reason for this? Maybe Peterson allows their craftsman some 'creative expression' and lets them do as they please?
DSC06778__38041.1453406130.1280.1280.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
the ones where the logo faces you as the smoker are from a period of around 2005/7-2016/7 or so.
I don't know why they decided to start to do it "backwards" for a while.. maybe they thought the smoker would like to read it?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Can't speak to your question but will say I can understand your love of Peterson spigots. I recently picked up my first one and would be sorely tempted to add another should I ever buy another pipe which I need like a hole in my head as I probably have too many now.:)

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
the ones where the logo faces you as the smoker are from a period of around 2005/7-2016/7 or so.
I don't know why they decided to start to do it "backwards" for a while.. maybe they thought the smoker would like to read it?
Can't speak to your question but will say I can understand your love of Peterson spigots. I recently picked up my first one and would be sorely tempted to add another should I ever buy another pipe which I need like a hole in my head as I probably have too many now.:)
Which model did you pick up? I have an 03 with a 230 on the way. I'm considering a straight spigot, possibly the 15 shape. Any info or thoughts on whether or not they are as dry smoking as the bent models?

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
15 is a great classic medium-sized billiard shape, I'd love to see them being represented more often amongst Peterson's higher-end lines, I have had one from the Aran line and that was a very nice ,well constructed pipe
I have a 15 shape in the Donegal Rocky variety and find it to be a very handy size. Smokes great.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Which model did you pick up? I have an 03 with a 230 on the way. I'm considering a straight spigot, possibly the 15 shape. Any info or thoughts on whether or not they are as dry smoking as the bent models?
I picked up the 2019 Pipe Smokers of Ireland pipe of the year, a poker. In general, I don't find straight pipes and drier than bent in that it seems to depend on the individual pipe.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I wondered the same thing a while back, glad somebody else asked for me lol.

@paulie66scandinavian, eat your heart out! Easily the most handsome pipe I own (it’s a 15)... it does have quite a few small pits in the briar. I have to believe the craftsmen were basically like “fuck it. The grain is too pretty to blast. We’ll just carry on with a smooth pipe”. Or something to that effect.

BC866A7D-561E-49F0-8408-C1EE31F35A2B.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

@paulie66scandinavian, eat your heart out! Easily the most handsome pipe I own (it’s a 15)... it does have quite a few small pits in the briar. I have to believe the craftsmen were basically like “fuck it. The grain is too pretty to blast. We’ll just carry on with a smooth pipe”. Or something to that effect.

View attachment 31354
Spigots and other near-top grades can have natural root marks but no voids/fills. ?

Reactions: rushx9 and mtwaller

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
@BROBS good to know! I truly don’t mind the minuscule pits in the least. There are probably a half dozen on the whole stummel. Fills, on the other hand... those irritate the crap out of me.
Then you’ll wanna go with deluxe systems or higher grade classics!!

though sometimes there are much lower grades that are flawless also.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com

View attachment 31354
Beautiful grain! Which Peterson line does your 15 come from?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@brooklynpipeclub this one is a natural silver mounted army I got from cgarsltd.co.uk for right at 100 pounds. So $120 ish? It was a goddamn steal. Took a while to break in, as it was my first bare briar chamber, and I’m a novice pipe smoker. This thing is now a champ for VaPer’s. The grain is just stunning. I can’t help but pull it from the lineup and stare, even if I have no intentions of smoking it that day.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
@brooklynpipeclub this one is a natural silver mounted army I got from cgarsltd.co.uk for right at 100 pounds. So $120 ish? It was a goddamn steal. Took a while to break in, as it was my first bare briar chamber, and I’m a novice pipe smoker. This thing is now a champ for VaPer’s. The grain is just stunning. I can’t help but pull it from the lineup and stare, even if I have no intentions of smoking it that day.
I purchased a Pete spigot 230 from an online UK retailer recently. Waiting for it to arrive. You can certainly find decent prices on sites from across the pond. Congrats on that pipe purchase. You got it at a steal!

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.