PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I've become a big fan of Peterson. The first nice pipe I bought myself was a 107 Ebony spigot for Christmas which has become a tradition.

What drew me to this pipe aside from the contrast of the ebony stain and the glimmering silver accents was the saddle stem.

20221007_165345.jpg

I just really love saddle stems. Both aesthetically and practically. So I was sad to see that aside from specific models, usually bents or the Lovats, Peterson doesn't make saddle stem pipes much anymore. I can only imagine this is due to cost and ease of manufacture in addition to Laudisi moving Peterson back to their older turn of the century styles which presumably didn't feature saddles much.

From light research they used to even designate models as such. So it'd be 107s for saddle stemmed. If anyone has any more history for me on this I'd love to hear it, I couldn't find an appropriate Peterson Pipe Notes essay on it anyway.

Anyone else cursed to be both a Pete fan and a stem cowboy?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here are a few Petersons with 'Hand Cut'-stamped saddle stems. The bottom one is also a twin bore, which is uncommon for Petersons - Iwan Ries exclusive model.

WqcMxVE.jpeg

XuAZcqj.jpeg

SE7UCN0.jpeg