PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Oddly enough, I came at this one from the opposite direction. I recently bought a tin of Royal Yacht specifically because I was looking for an alternative to Irish Flake, Stirling Flake and Old Dark Fired that was a little lighter in nicotine.

As my tin of RY hasn't been cracked open yet (too many other things open at the moment), I can't say for sure whether I achieved my goal or not. So I'll be following this one to see if people who have actual experience with it chime in.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I personally find the “Virginias” in RY to be similar to—and inferior to—those of some GH&co. blends, both in flavor and nic hit. The ones I’ve tried have entirely different toppings and the Smokey flavors of fired tobacco tho. But if I were looking for something with that imperial Virginia base, that’s where I’d explore

Reactions: Friendly Piper

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I think the closest you're going to get would be to mix it with something strong but not topped. Five Brothers can be used like that. Again that's probably the closest you'll get.
I think that's what @pipestud does for his morning smoke - 2/3 RY and 1/3 FB. Or something along these proportions.
That must be a good morning wakeup smoke with coffee. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think that's what @pipestud does for his morning smoke - 2/3 RY and 1/3 FB. Or something along these proportions.
I still need to try Royal Yacht. I personally don't care about nicotine levels. Weak stuff is enough and strong stuff isn't too much, either way I feel contented. But I know people like Steve boost blends with five brothers. I've only mixed it for flavor reasons and as a starter to stubborn flakes.
Also yes get some five brothers it's a great blend.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Not sure, but I've got around 20+ tins of the old Dunhill Royal Yacht with somewhere around 7-10+ years of age if anyone is interested. Shoot me a pm.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
I think the closest you're going to get would be to mix it with something strong but not topped. Five Brothers can be used like that. Again that's probably the closest you'll get.
I second this strategy..

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I think it’s the other way around first punch is RY with 2 punches FB on top packed tighter than usual as FB is a shag , the RY flavor comes through the Burley Nicotine and it sings , taking this from Steve I have done it with Capstan Blue , and HH bold Kentucky when I really want to get the Nic Sweats…😊 Also if OP like Royal Yacht he might want to check out C&D Dreams of Kaddath , a plug in a similar vein also great with plenty of FB😎

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I've cracked open my tin now and had a few bowls.

First off, wow! This is good stuff! I already love it and I can see why you'd be looking for more things like it.

As far as the original question, after trying it myself now, I have a few fresh thoughts.

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find much that's stronger in nicotine. I smoked unfiltered cigarettes for nearly 30 years, so the nicotine level of even the strongest pipe tobacco barely rises to a level where I even notice it. There are only a few where I feel that my monstrous nicotine craving/tolerance has been met or sated at the end of the experience. GH Brown "Happy" Bogie is up there. GH Dark Birdseye is up there. The old Irish Flake is up there. And now Royal Yacht is up there too. The one and only tobacco that's ever given me the spins is GH Dark Flake unscented when I smoked it in a very wide, very deep bowl. So maybe that's a tad stronger. Others have mentioned Five Brothers, I haven't had it myself but I hear that is pretty stout. Aside from that, I think you're going to have to pick up a pack of unfiltered Galoises.

So maybe if you're looking for something as strong, but pretty different with regards to taste, try one of the Gawith Hoggarth options mentioned above. The flavor profiles of those are all pretty similar to each other so it doesn't really matter which you go with. They're all strong tobaccos with semi-sweet and spicy cigar-like overtones. Dark Birdseye is pre-cut, so it's the easiest to deal with.

If you like the Royal Yacht topping (and I certainly do!), to me it hits somewhere right in the middle of Erinmore Flake and University Flake so those might be worth a go. Compared to RY, both provide a similar smoking experience, both have a similar flavor profile (yet different enough to justify having both), and both are a bit, though not greatly, lower in nicotine.

HadenB

Lurker
Jun 5, 2023
Huntsville, AL

First off, wow! This is good stuff! I already love it and I can see why you'd be looking for more things like it.

As far as the original question, after trying it myself now, I have a few fresh thoughts.

Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find much that's stronger in nicotine. I smoked unfiltered cigarettes for nearly 30 years, so the nicotine level of even the strongest pipe tobacco barely rises to a level where I even notice it. There are only a few where I feel that my monstrous nicotine craving/tolerance has been met or sated at the end of the experience. GH Brown "Happy" Bogie is up there. GH Dark Birdseye is up there. The old Irish Flake is up there. And now Royal Yacht is up there too. The one and only tobacco that's ever given me the spins is GH Dark Flake unscented when I smoked it in a very wide, very deep bowl. So maybe that's a tad stronger. Others have mentioned Five Brothers, I haven't had it myself but I hear that is pretty stout. Aside from that, I think you're going to have to pick up a pack of unfiltered Galoises.

So maybe if you're looking for something as strong, but pretty different with regards to taste, try one of the Gawith Hoggarth options mentioned above. The flavor profiles of those are all pretty similar to each other so it doesn't really matter which you go with. They're all strong tobaccos with semi-sweet and spicy cigar-like overtones. Dark Birdseye is pre-cut, so it's the easiest to deal with.

If you like the Royal Yacht topping (and I certainly do!), to me it hits somewhere right in the middle of Erinmore Flake and University Flake so those might be worth a go. Compared to RY, both provide a similar smoking experience, both have a similar flavor profile (yet different enough to justify having both), and both are a bit, though not greatly, lower in nicotine.
Thank you greatly!! I will look at getting some of those.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho

Sadly since the "death to all that's nicotine "laws took over in EU Gauloises and Gitanes are no longer made with the beautiful black spicy nicotine dripping leaf now it's just like any other filterless brown okay smoke. The stoutest thing I ever smoked was the black German Schwarzer Krauser and though it is still mighty strong it's no longer black and is just a very Dark-Fired Kentucky. Actually, the closest thing I've had yet to that Gauloises flavor is G&H Kendal Dark, which you might want to try if you haven't. Another contender for good nicotine kick out of the G&H SG camp would be Mac Barren HH Rustica, smoke a big bowl of that and you'll get the same sweats as Kendal Unscented or 1792.

HadenB

Lurker
Jun 5, 2023
Huntsville, AL
Sadly since the "death to all that's nicotine "laws took over in EU Gauloises and Gitanes are no longer made with the beautiful black spicy nicotine dripping leaf now it's just like any other filterless brown okay smoke. The stoutest thing I ever smoked was the black German Schwarzer Krauser and though it is still mighty strong it's no longer black and is just a very Dark-Fired Kentucky. Actually, the closest thing I've had yet to that Gauloises flavor is G&H Kendal Dark, which you might want to try if you haven't. Another contender for good nicotine kick out of the G&H SG camp would be Mac Barren HH Rustica, smoke a big bowl of that and you'll get the same sweats as Kendal Unscented or 1792.

Funny you say that…. I picked up a tin of Rustica last week, and it was fabulous!! About 1/2 way through the bowl, I had to grab a bar to offset the sweats. Haha

• Love
Reactions: vosBghos
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU

Bingo, all taylor made cigarettes and RYO tobaccies produced in the EU went downhill years ago ,regardless of the brand.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
1792 has a unique, strong flavoring, but it's about the same in strength as Royal Yacht. If you are looking to get wrecked, try a rope. They come with various toppings you might enjoy.