Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
So I've been looking at some of the Peterson pipes on their website, and most of them say they have the peterson-lip stem. I have a few Peterson pipes and they don't have that, and I was wondering if it makes a difference to the way they smoke, or if it's possible to order from them and get it switched out for a regular stem without the Peterson-lip at the end. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some love the P-lip, some dislike it, and some find it so-so. The standard bit usually called a fishtail is available on many Petersons and if that's what you like, I'd buy it with that stem. I have one P-lip pipe, a Rhodesian 999 in the Killarney series. I enjoy the pipe and never avoid smoking it, but I haven't bought another, and I've bought six or seven Petes new. My objection is that you end up with more stem in your mouth than with a fishtail, and the supposed advantage of directing the smoke toward the roof of your mouth to avoid tongue bite doesn't solve any problem for me. Several Forums members smoke almost entirely P-lip. Yes, you can find replacement fishtail stems for P-lip pipes, but it is some trouble, they don't always fit as well as the original which is usually a precise fit for that pipe, and why spend the time? You can buy almost any Peterson, new or estate, with whichever stem you like. I did receive a gift pipe from a friend, a Thompson Cigar house pipe, an estate, stamped West Germany, with a P-lip style stem. That would have been okay, but it oxidized after polishing back to black after a single smoke. So I sent it off to have it refitted with a tortoise shell fishtail and it is a better pipe now all around. I recommend buying what you prefer in the first place. Some sites seem to give a slight discount on Peterson P-lips, because they are not as popular perhaps. Don't go for the price, go for the pipe and stem you want.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Everyone one should have one then make up your own

mind. Just seems to Pete's and a P-lip kind of go

together. I have them both ways and either will give

a good smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I like the couple of p-lips that I have. Slightly prefer fishtail, but I'd get another p-lip if the whole pipe was appealing.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I dislike the p-lip. As MSO writes, you get more stem in your mouth. Also the smoke is directed away from your tongue, which really is where you want it in order to taste it. But then again, the only reason I know I dislike it is because I have tried it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Great for a "balancing" style clench with no jaw pressure. I find no real smoking difference even though the smoke is directed upwards into the teeth as opposed to the back of my mouth. I smoke for the nicotine with taste as only a secondary consideration. Taste is important in that I won't smoke a blend I dislike the taste of though.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Like MSO said, some like it, some don't. I happen to like it quite a bit. Makes clenching easier.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think satisfaction with the P-lips may often relate to individual jaws and teeth. For some P-lips are probably about perfect, as if custom made. For others, they really don't work, with a whole range in between. I mostly don't notice the fishtail stems, which is what I like about them.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have one light Prince model Peterson with P Lip, Yes I find it being satisfactory but not so that I would have another,in the past I have had other Petersons with P Lips as well but those were heavier models and as a result, I ended up selling them further.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I accidentally bought a P-lip, but gave it a shot. Didn't care for the awkwardness of it; too much stem in mouth, and smoke directed onto roof of the mouth. Careful work with the dremel tool converted it into a fishtail, which now smokes great :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got one. I like it but if I were to ever buy a Peterson again I'd get it with the fishtail stem.
Not the easiest to run a pipe cleaner though.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Fitzy, the pipe cleaner thing is probably the only down-side IMO. Being a Pete fan, nearly all of mine have the p-lip. But, I don't worry about taking a stem out to swab during a smoke if needed. Been doing that for 40+ years with no problem. But, warm or cooled off, I'll more often than not run the cleaner through the stem from the mortise end than the bit end because of that difficulty.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I didn't like them early on, but them tried vintage or higher grade Pete's with VULCANITE P-lip stems. Now those, I really like and in fact now love them.

Reactions: hdeaniii
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The p-lip is very nice for bent system pipes, but I don't like it as much for straight pipes. The p-lip is great for clenching. In terms of shape, like Al, I much prefer the older vulcanite versions. The new acrylic ones seem kind of chubby in my mouth. One advantage is that they direct the smoke toward the roof of your mouth, rather than your tongue. That's especially nice if you have already managed to burn your tongue and want some relief.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
This is a timely thread. I have wondered about the pros and cons of P-lips myself. In particular, I was wondering whether it altered the flavor of tobacco by directing the smoke further back in the mouth away from the front of the tongue where the tastebuds for sweetness supposedly reside. I have a Pete silver cap bent apple with a P-lip and struggle to get a flavorful smoke out of it. Of course, this may be for many reasons having nothing to do with the P-lip but the same tobacco will taste much better in a similarly shaped pipe with a fishtail bit.
On the issue of comfort in the mouth, I do find the P-lip a bit too large and far back but not intolerably so.

Status
Not open for further replies.