PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have both. I like them both and no issues to date. The Old Boy does feel more “hefty” in a way and seems to be a little higher quality mechanically but FWIW I don’t “choose” one over the other when reaching for one, just grab one.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I did a side by side comparison a few months ago. The post was specifically Old Boy vs. Karibi Kabuto, but later on in the thread, Sykes confirmed that the Karibi Kabuto and Peterson are the same lighter produced in the same factory with only a few minor cosmetic differences. At any rate... the short version is, they're both pretty nice. Between the two, I prefer the Old Boy, but the Peterson/Karibi is still pretty good.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Love my Peterson. Don’t have an Old Boy, however, to compare it to. What I don’t like about the Peterson is that I can’t seem to find a butane nozzle that will fill it up without it spraying everywhere. I use the Xikar butane and it doesn’t fit properly. Bought a butane can from the local hardware store just to get the little plastic nozzles, but none of them fit properly either.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Oct 11, 2023
I was in Boswell's on Tuesday and the clerk was using a an Old Boy he had had for 30 years. I figured that was the best sales pitch I could get so I purchased one. Boswell's is a nice store with a large inventory and a helpful staff.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have never used the Peterson style lighter. However I use my Old Boy everyday for my pipe. It's the second one I've bought. I sold the first one, cause I needed the money. Missed it terribly and bought my second one. I'll never sell it, and hope to keep it in working condition for life. My favorite lighter ever. It's never failed me, and holds fuel FOREVER.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BenMN

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I was in Boswell's on Tuesday and the clerk was using a an Old Boy he had had for 30 years. I figured that was the best sales pitch I could get so I purchased one. Boswell's is a nice store with a large inventory and a helpful staff.
These are the stories I like to hear!

Reactions: BenMN

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I have never used a Peterson, but I have owned 3 Corona Old Boys over the years. Sadly, I have lost 2 of them over time. The one I still have is at least 10/12 years old. I have never had any issues with any of the ones I've had. You cannot go wrong with a Corona!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Something you may want to consider is where you'll be using it.
I don't have any experience with the IM Corona, but I know it only has a single nozzle soft flame. Whereas the Peterson lighter has a dual nozzle soft flame.
I was hesitant at first to purchase a Peterson. I mainly smoke outside, unless I'm in my car. I kept hearing you can't use them outside, in the wind, etc.
To my surprise, when I finally bought my Peterson lighter it worked fantastic outdoors! Strong winds I need my zippo, but anything below that the Peterson always seems to work! Sometimes you have to adjust how you light it based on wind direction, but it never ceases to amaze me. It lights when a BIC would not.
I came close recently to ordering an IM Corona when I ordered one of my pipes. I wanted the brushed chrome, it looked gorgeous! And I've read how reliable and bomb-proof they are. Then I found out about the single nozzle flame and that ultimately caused me to lose interest. When I decide I want a backup to my Peterson, I'll buy another Peterson or a Kabuto to change it up. I'd love an IM Corona, but the Peterson will work better in any outdoor situation. It also has a larger fuel tank capacity since it doesn't have a built-in tamper.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have little problem lighting with a single nozzle Old Boy or Kiribi Kabuto- or a BiC for that matter in winds under 15 knots. Yes, it takes repeating cupping the hands until you get the right cover! And any structure, tree or vehicle can be useful.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
This is true. I guess I was more or less referring to it lighting without any wind coverage.
Do any others find the dual nozzle does work better in light wind vs a single nozzle? This is the entire reason I have not bought one already!