Peterson Meer anyone?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I’m not sure I understand the hubbub here. An auction is one of the best ways to determine the value of a collectible. I believe that’s partly how the values of fine art are calculated. Markets like this are highly volatile. The seller in this case might be hitting a high point. Next month this might sell lower. So what if someone wants to pay more than what another thinks it’s worth? Capitalism at its finest.

Reactions: doctorbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Other than that Peterson doesn't make meer, and that thing isn't all that bad looking, no clue why it's expensive. I guess Peterson is ever so popular. Everyone and their mother want a Peterson! x)

Reactions: Deano

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
I think unsmoked is the reason they are going so high. Collectors/investors want them and im betting they wont be smoked.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Peterson used African meerschaum for most of their meerschaum pipes. If I'm not mistaken the African meerschaum mines closed down in the early 90s, and Peterson stopped making African meerschaum pipes in the early 2000's. So being that you have an unsmoked Peterson African meerschaum pipe with sock, and box and in great condition; that price isn't unreasonable. Unsmoked African meerschaum pipes don't appear everyday.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Peterson used African meerschaum for most of their meerschaum pipes. If I'm not mistaken the African meerschaum mines closed down in the early 90s, and Peterson stopped making African meerschaum pipes in the early 2000's. So being that you have an unsmoked Peterson African meerschaum pipe with sock, and box and in great condition; that price isn't unreasonable. Unsmoked African meerschaum pipes don't appear everyday.
Technically Peterson didn't "make" any African meer pipes, they were all made by Laxey Pipes Ltd. (Manx Pipe) on the Isle Of Man for Peterson. Laxey closed its doors in 2002. Peterson did however band and stem the Laxey stummles in Ireland. This does not apply to the hand full of Turkish block meerschaum Peterson's made.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I'd love to have a Peterson mesham pipe. If I could find an unsmoked one, I might be willing to pay $250-300 bucks for that... but I'm not paying more than $100 for a smoked pipe with a charred up rim.

Reactions: Deano

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Other than that Peterson doesn't make meer, and that thing isn't all that bad looking, no clue why it's expensive. I guess Peterson is ever so popular. Everyone and their mother want a Peterson! x)
Not sure that's the explanation, but a few guys certainly don't mind paying $300 or so for an unsmoked, boxed pipe, branded by a highly-collectible pipe company, that's fifty years old.

Other than paying $50 for a wonderfully smokeable mass-produced pipe that has no collectible value, does any of it really make sense?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not sure that's the explanation, but a few guys certainly don't mind paying $300 or so for an unsmoked, boxed pipe, branded by a highly-collectible pipe company, that's fifty years old.

Other than paying $50 for a wonderfully smokeable mass-produced pipe that has no collectible value, does any of it really make sense?

Lack of humor is very disappointing. I'll leave it at that.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Technically Peterson didn't "make" any African meer pipes, they were all made by Laxey Pipes Ltd. (Manx Pipe) on the Isle Of Man for Peterson. Laxey closed its doors in 2002. Peterson did however band and stem the Laxey stummles in Ireland. This does not apply to the hand full of Turkish block meerschaum Peterson's made.
I am aware they were made on the Isle of Man, and I have several pipes from the Manx factory. Laxey Pipes used African block Meerschaum from the Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation based out Tanzania as they discovered a Meerschaum mine in Kilimanjaro in Tanzania back in the 1950's. A small amount of their pipes were made from Turkish Meerschaum later on after the African mines closed down, and before the Laxey Pipes factory finally closed down in the early 2000's. So no, the Peterson pipes were not made in Africa, but they are block African Meerschaum with some being block Turkish Meerschaum.

Interesting side note: my 4x Great Uncle is the famous "Manx Man," who lived in Greeba Castle on the Isle of Man. He was a famous author in the late 1800's, early 1900s, and several of his books were made into silent movies. Notably, Alfred Hitchcock's last silent film was "The Manxman." So, I have a small connection to the Isle of Man and Manx history. ;)