PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
From @jpmcwjr’s keyboard to my eyes, lol, yes - a lighter thread!

I ordered some tobacco last week and a couple of No. 68s, and on a whim (Barney Fife says you can’t question a whim!) I added this Peterson lighter to my SP cart. I love my Zippo lighters and the Beattie @Chasing Embers influenced but I got suckered by the Peterson green.

My deck is well sheltered so no wind issues and I like the soft flame, easy to get it where I want it. Won’t be the “go to” most of the time, but it feels solid and it works!575F0FC8-051B-427F-844A-789EE10A832A.jpeg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Curious is me...

Does Peterson actually make their namesake lighters, do they just have their name put on an existing maker's product, or they are made by another company but incorporate Peterson-specific materials, design elements, features, etc?

Anyone know?

Aug 1, 2012
Curious is me...

Does Peterson actually make their namesake lighters, do they just have their name put on an existing maker's product, or they are made by another company but incorporate Peterson-specific materials, design elements, features, etc?

Anyone know?
From when I was in the market for an Old Boy style lighter...and did some research...

If Peterson is based in China, then yes, they make it. Otherwise, it's a standard Old Boy clone.

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I use a Peterson pipe lighter and it works very well, including reasonably well outdoors if you can get out of the wind. It holds a lot of fuel. Considering the importance of a good lighter to pipe smoking, I consider it a good idea to try a variety of lighters, including the Peterson if you have it in your budget. We use the lighter all the time, so it's not frivolous to buy a quality model if you like it.

Durability and repairs are always an issue with things that are not built to be disposable. I am sure that they are repairable, but I don't know who services them. I would like to know that. If repair costs and turnaround time is reasonable then I wouldn't mind having it repaired every few years.

The silver one that looks like it's chrome plated is really nice. It's what I use. Feels good in the hand.

I bought mine from SmokingPipes and they recommended the Kiribi flints, so that's what I use.

I have had one quirk using the refill butane containers by Colibri: With one bottle of Colibri fuel I had no trouble filling the lighter by simply turning it upside down and putting the refill bottle's nozzle into the filler nozzle on the lighter. Then I bought another Colibri refill bottle and I cannot refill the lighter without first removing the bottom metal plate on the lighter. I will be shopping for an easier to use butane filler bottle soon.

Alternatively I use the BIC EZ Reach lighters, which I think are much better than standard BIC lighters for pipes, and they're widely available at places like Walmart and other national retailers.

To clean the lighter, get a Q-Tip and dip it in rubbing alcohol. Wipe the soot covered parts of the lighter and the soot comes right off. It's a nice way to keep the lighter looking good.

Also, I like to use the highly filtered butane. It really does leave less soot on the lighter, and presumably less in your tobacco too. If it's highly purified, the container will say so, but some brands of highly purified butane have bottles that don't fit the Peterson.

I don't remember how long I've had mine, but it's been long enough to have the sense that mine, at least, is built durably. But then I only smoke a few bowls a week. If I were daily multi-bowl smoker I'd always want a backup lighter for the Peterson (or any other lighter).

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Curious is me...

Anyone know?
Laudisi owns Peterson. Laudisi also reps Kiribi. My guess is Kiribi makes the Peterson lighters.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Another happy Peterson pipe lighter owner here.
Curious is me...

Anyone know?
I heard the Peterson lighters are made in Japan by Tsubota company. Which is a very respectable producer of pipe lighters under its own brand too.

Gentlemen, what's your opinion on Zippo Butane fuel for Peterson lighters?
For three years I've been using Clipper Azul Butane to refill it, now I switched to Zippo Butane thinking it's just another high-quality lighter fuel. Instead, I was surprised to see it leaving much more soot on the lighter parts than Clipper did, so I'm afraid of it clogging and ruiniung my lighter. Does Zippo Butane have a bad rap among the Old-boy-type-lighter owners or is it just a bad batch I was lucky to get?

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
I have a Peterson pipe lighter and absolutely love it. I refill it with Clipper butane (Zippo butane turned out to be very dirty and sooty) and use Zippo flints. However, after my 3.5 years of use the striking wheel got dulled. I switched to IM Corona flints and put a stronger spring into the flint compartment, to no avail.
Now, when the wheel grinds out a concave on the flint butt, the lighter stops working. It works again only when I file the concave flat with a needle file. The lighter is still workable and I still love it but the added filing hassle is embarrassing.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Wonder if I used a more premium name brand flint from the get go if it would help the issue? I thought all flints were equal. Are some flints better than others?

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Just a shout out to Peterson's CS.
I've bought a used lighter off eBay.
It did not work properly. After thorough cleaning and flint replacement (im corona) it still leaked fuel like crazy.
So I've sent it to Peterson for restoration and... they replaced the whole unit.
It took some time (nearly 3 months) but now I've got a new shiny lighter!

IMG_1736.jpg