PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I don't see how the OP can complain that Nightcap, Cabbies, or FVF fail where Irish Flake wins. Those blends taste nothing alike nor do they even have the same components. It's like being mad at an orange for not being an apricot. If it's a nicotine blast you want, compare Irish Flake against other strong burley blends or Gawith rope... at least you'll be in the right neighborhood.

Reactions: dcon

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I don't see how the OP can complain that Nightcap, Cabbies, or FVF fail where Irish Flake wins. Those blends taste nothing alike nor do they even have the same components. It's like being mad at an orange for not being an apricot. If it's a nicotine blast you want, compare Irish Flake against other strong burley blends or Gawith rope... at least you'll be in the right neighborhood.
I think so too -- they are very, very different things for sure.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A predecessor of Irish Flake was, I feel, SG Bracken Flake; the topping and the flavor were similar. I smoked quite a bit of it until they changed the recipe. It took about 50g before I liked it, and the more I smoked it the more that liking increased. I hoped that the recipe might revert and brought some again twice, and not being what I wanted, jarred it, my first remedy at that time.

When Irish Flake came out I quickly liked it and accumulated 89 tins, which I sold to buy cigars. At that point I'd been smoking it for a year or two, and after selling my stash, smoked it off and on, but I never recovered my fondness for it; some tobaccos get lost in the shuffle.

But also I never felt good smoking tinned tobacco due to cost. That was one of the reasons for my overwhelming fondness for DF, whose flavor and strength are very strong. Gets my vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.