Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth

Lurker
Feb 3, 2012
Rc,

Mine should be here tomorrow. I have held off smoking my new Pete anymore until this gets here. I can hardly wait.

seth

Lurker
Feb 3, 2012
I got it and tried it. Its certainly peppery, almost liquorice tasting to me. I'm going to reserve judgement until I smoke a bit more of it. The nicotine sure is there, no doubt about it! It reminds me of how some stronger cigars taste. That said, I am a bootcamp in pipe tobacco, and I more than likely wrecked my tastebuds with 25 years of Marlboros, which I kicked a year ago. The smell reminds me of .......something I can't quite put my finger on, but it's very pleasant.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
seth
Remember to take it slow with any pipe tobacco. I've been smoking a pipe for a little over a year, before that it was nails since 1991. What I have learned, among many other things, is that pipe tobacco is a bit like wine, different tasting at different times of the day, temperatures, food pairing and, if I may, one's mood.
I smoked a half a slice of the IF the other evening when I got home from working 10 hours and it was sort of blahhhh. Smoked some more the following morning with coffee, and the familiar niceness I experienced when I wrote the review returned.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Excellent Review rcstan.. you're a good writer and hit the tobacco head on. I've smoked Peterson's

Irish Flake on and off for several years, and have also always considered it an outdoors smoke. I like

it in a heavy briar, with coffee or scotch. I had to go look, and have 7 tins in the cellar aging,

made me smile!
TopD

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Great review indeed. This is one of my favorite baccy's especially in the evenings with a good bourbon or scotch.
Very nicely written review :clap:

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Great tobacco in the flavor department, but it has laid me out on many occasion due to the nicotine content. I still smoke it, but have learned four things. These will hopefully help many enjoy this fine tobacco without being put off by its potency. (1) Use a small bowled pipe, (2) Use half as much tobacco as you think you want, (3) FOLD it into the pipe DO NOT RUB OUT! Rubbing out increases nicotine potency. (4) Smoke it very, very, very slowly. Just a tiny wisp of smoke, never a cloud.
This tobacco is worth the extra care. It CAN be enjoyed by those of us who aren't nicotine junkies. Happy smoking.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Good job rcstan, I am sold on this review. I skipped buying this on my orders as University was already something pretty powerful as far as I was concerned but now I sort of look forward to having a tin around the house someday for the winter time. I like these strong baccy's in the morning before work as I drink my coffee but never late in the day. Univ. Flake has been my go to along with a bit of brown bogie and Irish XX twist. I dry it all out and mix it with fresh Univ. Flake. together they are POTENT! But it sounds like the Irish Flake will do the ol' one two punch all by itself!
package_toys.png

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hey thanks for digging up this old thread johncorosz. And nice review rcstan. This one is on my TAD list. I like the University Flakes but I had an experience with the UF and a little too much Jack Daniels so I've only recently grown back to liking the UF. I love a strong nicotine tobacco so I can't wait to try the Irish Flake.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Just ordered a tin of this along with a pound of BlackHouse bulk(in to your stash Baron)to tuck away. :D

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
an experience with the UF and a little too much Jack Daniels
Yes, I have experienced this. Forgot to mention that alcohol in combination with Irish Flake, University Flake, and anything in the high Nic department, will intensify the effects of both the alcohol and the tobacco 8O

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Is UF really High Nic??? I like the stuff but would class it as low-med on the nic scale?
Irish Flake though...this is all kinds of good!

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I like them both and after reading this post fired up a full flake of UF. i cubed it and have really been enjoying that old familiar flavor. After dinner, I think I might just hit up a bowl of IF, its been that kind of day! I'm like TopD, once I found these two gems, I put a few in the cellar for my high nic needs.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Great review, RC.
Overall, I think a I prefer the University over the Irish, but dang, there are times nothing fits the bill more than Irish Flake.
A really good mixture is to take a flake of Mac Baren Navy Flake and rub it out with 1 Irish Flake. The Mac Baren is enhanced by the IF, it adds more depth. The NF smooths out the rough edges of the IF but only slightly diminshes its strentgh. I have mentioned this before, but cannot remember which forum. Lol

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Is UF really High Nic??? I like the stuff but would class it as low-med on the nic scale?
On my scale UF is medium-high. Irish Flake is on the high end of the scale. If you smoke cigs ( which I haven't in almost 2 years ) then I guess your tolerance level for Vit N is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.