PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
It is a very fine tobacco, one of my very favorites. It is as bold as you've heard but the remarkable taste will make you forget that you're on the ground sweating. May I suggest a stout chair that is difficult to topple? It's not as strong as the G&H ropes and is similar in potency to 1792 or Bracken Flake. It's also the most beautiful flake I've ever handled; so uniform, so well-formed. If Gawith could do it I'd be an even bigger fan of their product.

In my opinion, the first world-class tobacco from Peterson.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here is a quick review of this blend done by Jaxz.
Blend: Irish Flake

Manufacturer: Peterson

Container: 50g Tin

Tobacco: Virgina

Cut: Flake
Smoking Notes: This puppy is definitely full bodied and will make your head spin if you're not properly prepared (i.e., full belly). It may just be me, but I get more of a "nicotine hit" from this then Dunhills Night cap. Believe me, this isn't a problem though. This is one of the few Virginia's where I definitely caught some natural flavoring (beyond sweet)...oak. This tobacco in fact reminds me of a premium cigar in many regards. It burns very easily and required little to no re-lighting required. Because my smoking lounge is my porch I was unable to detect a pronounced room note.
General Notes: I'm not yet experienced enough with flakes to utilize the "fold and stuff" method; although I hope to master it one day. Instead I fully rubbed this out and gravity fed the pipe. Worked just fine for me. Word of caution though, the tobacco dries out easily upon opening so if you prefer your tobacco on the moist side smoke the tin within 3 weeks. For me it burned much easier and tasted much better dried out though, but to each their own.
Overall Assessment: This is a damn fine blend worth exploring if you prefer the fuller bodied smokes. Any fan of full bodied cigars should be attracted to this as it presents a similar flavor profile coupled with the natural sweetness of the Virgina. Smoke this one later in the day and you will not be disappointed!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Wow! I still have not been able to make it through an entire bowl of Irish Flake as it knocks me out.
I love the tobacco, but dang, I have to get a special small bowl for this one.
Read more of my comments on Bob's review.

http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco-reviews/peterson-irish-flake-pipe-tobacco-review/comment-page-1/#comment-1141

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That is funny Kevin. I have never experienced the things that some others have from strong tobaccos.

I love Irish Flake and I have also smoked the strongest cigars and I have never got a buzz like other people. I guess it's because I smoke cigarettes and am used to high nicotine.

flugplatz

Lurker
Jan 15, 2010
This is definitely a stout little puppy. A nice meal before hand is highly recommended. You would also serve yourself well to read Bob's review. This is a heavy nicotine blend and not for the inexperienced smoker. It might turn you off to pipe tobacco by jumping into it a little bit too soon.

All in all, a very great smoke. I am a latakia / perique lover. Not an aromatic. Love this smoke for a little difference in my life. I also like McBaren's No. 1 for a difference, but it doesn't hold a candle to Peterson Irish Flake!

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I like the strong ones. I will have to try this. Most of my bowls are small, anyway.

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
I was not an experienced pipe smoker when I first tried this tobacco. Nevertheless, this stuff smells wonderful in the tin and tastes pretty good in the pipe. I did make the grave error of smoking on an empty stomach! Not a good idea!

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
This is a good stout smoke and I enjoyed it. There's something about Irish Flake reminded me a bit of Condor Long Cut. Anyone else find this ?
Regards,

Jim

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great review! I have smoked a fair amount of Irish Flake and like it a lot, but definitely very strong...have to smoke it at the right time.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I am by no means an experienced pipe-smoker, but I still found a place for Irish Flake in my daily routine (after dinner smoke). Don't let the disclaimer in the tin notes scare you away, particularly if you like a good, strong nic fix.
One thing I have learned though, I can't smoke this while driving; the other idiots on the road get me all worked up, and I start puffing so hard my head swims.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
I just bought another tin of Irish Flake and I don't know what to think. I had the faint suspicion that it is new and completely different when I saw that the tin was rather square like the University Flake that the rectangular as I first bought and is shown in the review site. I've opened it but can't smoke it because my parents don't allow me. The smell is completely different than what I'm used. Instead of the heavy smoke and the dark complexity I get less smoke, much more sweetness, less indescriptive complexity, but instead a good multi-layered spicyness, which combined with the sweetness gets me nougat, a little bit of caramel, and a tiny bit of dark chocolate.
The Irish Flake was the third tobacco I tried, the first one I liked, and I loved it. I really hope that it hasn't changed and my nose just has a funky day. It smells good, but still I want my old Irish Flake. If it's gone, I'm not sure whether I can forgive myself for not hoarding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.