PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Just cracked a new tin, no juicy fruit that I can smell! I think I get a bit of the anise topping from both IF and Stirling, but definitely no Erinmore. Maybe I've been blessed with a nose that doesn't detect that particular chemical.
Ok, so I re-opened a tin that I cracked back in May, and that smell is gone. It was very light to begin with, and I know I didn’t imagine it, but it’s gone now. Just a little smoke from the DFK. ?‍♂️

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Ok, so I re-opened a tin that I cracked back in May, and that smell is gone. It was very light to begin with, and I know I didn’t imagine it, but it’s gone now. Just a little smoke from the DFK. ?‍♂️
It does change pretty quickly! I remember that I didn't like it one bit at first. But when I revisited it after a few months, I immediately fell in love with it. And no, love is not too strong a word for it.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Haven’t smoked Irish Flake in years but wanted to try the Rattray version of it and University. I just cracked a new tin of Stirling. It smells amazing with no real topping standing out. Will head out in a bit for a smoke a see how it goes.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Haven’t smoked Irish Flake in years but wanted to try the Rattray version of it and University. I just cracked a new tin of Stirling. It smells amazing with no real topping standing out. Will head out in a bit for a smoke a see how it goes.
Had my first smoke of Stirling Flake - dark and delicious I did find occasional subtle hints or berry, not in the tin note and only occasionally noticed lightly in the smoke. The blend is overall on the plus side of medium in strength to me, which is less than I recall from Irish Flake, but as I mentioned it’s been years since I last smoked it. For my next bowl I will run it out further (I rubbed it to a ready-rubbed consistency, not to finely) and maybe dry it a bit further. The flavor was rich but not overly complex with the dark-fired coming and going in the flavor profile. Overall enjoyable and am looking forward to learning more about his blend as I smoke it.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't know when the manufacture switch happened, but I remember thinking the topping was considerable stronger on the first, square tinned version I had back in like 2015-2016. I started revisiting it again about 6 months ago and the topping seems way toned down, and the blend a bit stronger in nicotine than I remember from the 2015-2016 version. How much of that is my palate changing versus the blend, or whether the blend and its constituent tobaccos change over the years, I don't know... But I do prefer what I've had lately to the tins from 5 years ago.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.