PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi, I recently came across this pipe it’s a Peterson Meer but it’s black. I’ve seen only a handful of examples and only two others like this one. I was curious if this is rare? The owner says he’s the original owner and says he bought it new and it was black. Says it didn’t get this way from smoking it. I have the big peterson book and in there it shows one sandblast version they sold with a “dark red/black stain. Does anyone have any information about this type of meer? I did a search first and only came across one where a guy sold one on here and they were going to continue the conversation once the buyer received the pipe but I can’t see or find that continued conversation. The image is how it looks from the seller currently.
thanks
MikeIMG_1978.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
That’s the “Aboriginal” style Pete meer. They were all African meer and made by the Manx Laxey pipe factory on the isle of Mann for Peterson. Some were fume top, some fully dyed, and some uncolored. I wouldn’t call it rare but the fully dyed ones don’t pop up all that often.
So it is real so that’s good. I’ve been on the look out for one like this but with the top only black for years. Normally I can’t touch the price. Thanks so much
mike

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
What rusty said. In the wild I’ve only seen that full black scolloped finish in the manx line, and one made for nording. There’s an example of one they made for comoys on their pipedia page.

I have a 3 of the Pete Aboriginals (briar, fumed top meer, and one semi coloured over the whole pipe). I wouldn’t mind one like that though. It’s the Batman of petes

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
What rusty said. In the wild I’ve only seen that full black scolloped finish in the manx line, and one made for nording. There’s an example of one they made for comoys on their pipedia page.

I have a 3 of the Pete Aboriginals (briar, fumed top meer, and one semi coloured over the whole pipe). I wouldn’t mind one like that though. It’s the Batman of petes
I have one of the fully colored Manx pipes that was made for Cary Magic Inch. @georged replaced the CMI stem with an acrylic one several years ago for me. It’s kind of a reverse fume top, fully colored pipe with a light rim.IMG_6620.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
@RustiePyles CPG thats so neat. the guy wants $120. The silver band is very pitted. Any thoughts on if this is a normal price for a pipe like that?
$120 is a fair price for that pipe. The band isn’t pitted it’s just tarnished. It’ll clean up just fine. A jewelry polishing cloth will clean up the band and polish the pipe up.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@RustiePyles CPG thats so neat. the guy wants $120. The silver band is very pitted. Any thoughts on if this is a normal price for a pipe like that?
Smooth Pete meers are going for a lot these days. This one is a “less desirable” finish, unless you like it of course. I’d say have at it knowing you would be able to recover your costs here if you chose to part with it