PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiedmontPipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2022
Hey forumites,
I‘m looking at this design and hesitating to buy one, as I have no experience with Petersons and, therefore, with P-Lips. What are your experiences with this pipe specifically and with Peterson and P-lips generally? I see that a “fishtail” version exists, but is more difficult to locate. The sandblasted finish is what I’m looking at. All opinions, warnings, and enabling welcome.
Thanks

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I have one p-lip and I'm reselling it back to smokingpipes.com. I just can't get used to it and I hate smoking that pipe. The "YMMV" from above is absolutely right. I can see how folks might love them, but it's all on how you smoke. I smoke sitting and reading while holding my pipe in one hand and my book in the other. I do not clench. Putting the bit to my lips to "sip" the pipe doesn't work for me with a p-lip the way it does with a fishtail. With the fishtail I can basically just touch the bit to my lips whereas the p-lip I have to put it all the way into my mouth (otherwise your upper lip blocks the hole in the top of the bit).

I totally get it that maybe I smoke weird, but there you have it. Again, I think they might be amazing for some folks who smoke differently than I do, and clearly the are people plenty of folks love them. I wonder if maybe there's a less expensive Pete you've had your eyes on you could test the waters with before pulling the trigger on the SH. That's the rub, you're not going to know if you love them or hate them until you have one.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
I have one p-lip and I'm reselling it back to smokingpipes.com. I just can't get used to it and I hate smoking that pipe. The "YMMV" from above is absolutely right. I can see how folks might love them, but it's all on how you smoke. I smoke sitting and reading while holding my pipe in one hand and my book in the other. I do not clench. Putting the bit to my lips to "sip" the pipe doesn't work for me with a p-lip the way it does with a fishtail. With the fishtail I can basically just touch the bit to my lips whereas the p-lip I have to put it all the way into my mouth (otherwise your upper lip blocks the hole in the top of the bit).

I totally get it that maybe I smoke weird, but there you have it. Again, I think they might be amazing for some folks who smoke differently than I do, and clearly the are people plenty of folks love them. I wonder if maybe there's a less expensive Pete you've had your eyes on you could test the waters with before pulling the trigger on the SH. That's the rub, you're not going to know if you love them or hate them until you have one.
You are absolutely right. I am not a clencher, either, and we both have a very different experience. The only way to really know for sure is to give it a try.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Almost all of mine are P-lip. I'm not a clencher and although I know when I'm using P-lip I don't notice any difference in use or experience when enjoying one of my Petersons or even think about it.

It is an issue for some and I agree the only way to be sure is try one and find out. You can order one with a P-lip and see what you think about it without actually smoking it and send it back if you sense it will be an issue.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hey forumites,
I‘m looking at this design and hesitating to buy one, as I have no experience with Petersons and, therefore, with P-Lips. What are your experiences with this pipe specifically and with Peterson and P-lips generally? I see that a “fishtail” version exists, but is more difficult to locate. The sandblasted finish is what I’m looking at. All opinions, warnings, and enabling welcome.
Thanks
I have the deer stalker SH with a fishtail stem and I love it. I have Peterson's with the P-Lip stem and I love them. It really doesn't matter to me which version stem they are. I love all of my Pete's

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I prefer the p-lip however it doesn't make a spot of difference on my pipe choice. Or in other words it doesn't make a critical difference. The thing is they feel different but pretty much smoke the same. I smoke mine two ways. One is when I kiss the pipe (put the stem in the mouth while still holding it and only while sipping) I rest the dent on the bottom right on my lower lip. And then when I clench I do it the way it's designed. Both work perfectly well.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
For me, the P-lip seems to help minimize tongue bite when I light a hard-to- start pipeful, such as a flake or plug that I didn't take the time to completely rub out.
It is not a make/ break decision for selecting a new pipe in my opinion. Good Luck, and I love Petersons!

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
IMG_20220104_025655.jpg

Peterson System Standard 302, fish tail. I'm not sure whether this is called sand blast or not, initially I wanted a smooth surface. But the more I look at this, the more I like it! Easy to clench, cool bowl, cool draw. I love it!

PiedmontPipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2022
View attachment 127417

Peterson System Standard 302, fish tail. I'm not sure whether this is called sand blast or not, initially I wanted a smooth surface. But the more I look at this, the more I like it! Easy to clench, cool bowl, cool draw. I love it!
I find that I like the look of smooth briar, but prefer the tactile feel of sandblast or rusticated finishes and more usually reach for those especially if I’m going to be moving around. It’s funny how it works out: visual appeal vs. comfort.

scout19d3

Can't Leave
Jul 6, 2021
Katy, TX USA
I don't own a deerstalker yet, but I've hovered over them - a mouse-click away from adding to the cart - many times. I would not let the choice between p-lip or fishtail slow down a purchase decision if you otherwise found a pipe you like.
I have no hesitation loading up my p-lip stemmed pipes and will buy more alongside my fishtail stemmed pipes.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I find that I like the look of smooth briar, but prefer the tactile feel of sandblast or rusticated finishes and more usually reach for those especially if I’m going to be moving around. It’s funny how it works out: visual appeal vs. comfort.
??? Show us your Peterson ya, after you get one ?

Reactions: PiedmontPipe

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I have the deerstalker shape (technically the XL14 in the Kinsale style), and a P-lip calabash system standard pipe. I don’t know what the XL14 would be like with a P-lip but I imagine I’d like it.

What I can say with certainty is that I absolutely love my XL14: a well made pipe for the price. A generous bowl when I’m in the mood for that and I typically smoke English/Balkan blends out of it.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Have a 1989 or '90 rusticated deerstalker. There is no better rustication from Peterson than you'll find from this era. Craggy as all get out. Love the look of it and it's a fine smoker. But, like all Rhodesians, the bowl's capacity is a bit smaller than I'd prefer.