PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
We all, or at least most of us, browse pipes on multiple online pipe retailers and Ebay and elsewhere. It's what we do. I do it when looking for a particular pipe or brand, or sometimes just for the sake of browsing to see what's new or what's out there. Often times I browse just because I like looking at pipes without any intent to buy anything at all. This time I was simply browsing to see what I could see. Buying was a maybe but I wasn't having a severe attack of Pipe Acquisition Disorder or anything. I had, after all, just purchased a Peterson 2016 St. Patty's Day pipe. Sometimes, when you're browsing just for the sake of browsing to see what's new or see what you can see or just because you like looking at pipes, something wonderful shows up. Sometimes it's something you've been wanting for a long time but can never seem to find, or when you do find it, somebody else has already bought it right out from under your nose. And sometimes you give up looking and completely forget it about it until one day....
...while browsing for no particular reason other than the fact that you like to look, that one special pipe shows up. Some time ago I came across a Peterson XL90 Silver Spigot that was just stunning in so many ways. It had a beautiful stain, a nice stem that you don't see very many of, and some seriously nice grain. I had to have it! Also for quite some time, I've been wanting a B42. I love the shape. And I see them here and there, but I never pull the trigger because it's just not speaking to me. I don't like the stem, or I don't like the stain, or the grain just doesn't do it for me. I've even found some with a spigot. And I've been wanting another spigot since the XL90. But every time I found one in a spigot, it was the same problem... didn't like the stain, or the grain didn't do it for me. Or it was the wrong stem. They weren't PLips, just not the same super special saddle stem on my XL90 spigot. I have to assume that Peterson reserves those stems for extra special pipes because honestly I rarely see them, and when I do the pipe is a stunner. So while browsing around the other day, I decided to take a quick online detour to Smoker's Haven, because it had been a while since I visited that site. I looked at different pipes from different manufacturers and almost left to look elsewhere when quite by accident with a downward scroll of the page... there she was in all her glory... the right stain, that elusive stem... and grain that just doesn't quit. This thing was a grain monster! My heart literally skipped a beat. I looked in the familiar spot on the page where I usually would see the dreaded words "SOLD," but the dreaded word wasn't there. This pipe was still there... it was still available, a little pricey but I think definitely worth it... like a classy lady. Of course I spent a while trying to talk myself out of it, but knowing that this was one I'd been wanting for a while, and even exceeding my expectations, I'd be kicking myself for a long time if I didn't pull the trigger. And so I did... pulled the trigger, not kicked myself. I should have it Thursday or Friday.
I think it's one of the most beautiful Peterson pipes I've ever seen... what do you think?
Beautiful silver hardware.
PetersonB42a.jpg
[/url][/img]
PetersonB42b.jpg
[/url][/img]
Look at that stem! I love the curves on this stem.
PetersonB42d.jpg
[/url][/img]
And a grain monster!
PetersonB42c.jpg
[/url][/img]
And all combined with the stain... sexy.
PetersonB42e.jpg
[/url][/img]
Not sure what tobacco I'll choose for the first smoke yet, but I'm leaning toward one of my My Own Blends. I'm definitely looking forward to it. :D

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I love Peterson's pipes and you have found a stunner anthony!! I love the spigots and I agree with everything you pointed out with yours! Enjoy many happy smokes with your new friend!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Top shelf Petes are outstanding pipes. Many people don't even know they exist given the proliferation and popularity of their entry-level lines.
Your soon-to-arrive specimen looks to be about as good as they get. Easily the equal of any number of high grade only brands.
Premal will also take great care of you. He's one of the PipeWorld's finest citizens.

Mar 1, 2014
I was immediately attracted to the B42 when I first saw one, it's bold in size but subtle in design, the only way I can think of making one better would be to make it House Pipe sized.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's a great looking Peterson! I'm surprised it wasn't sold, you were fortunate.
I've always wondered if that style stem had a name - reverse saddle, etc.?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
The B42 or "Darwin" as they used to be called is my favorite pipe shape of all. I have over a dozen of them in all finishes and styles, from rusticated to sandblast to Deluxe and Supreme. Your new purchase with the silver spigot design is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you enjoy it for many, many years!

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks all :)
ssjones, I think reversed saddle is good a name as any.
Hopefully it will get here soon, I'm eager to light it up and enjoy the heck out of it.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
That pipe is beautiful!
Are the spigots just a mount style or do they have some effect on functionality?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For my money, the spigots are the only styles I have where I can leave them broken down with no fear that it will affect the tenon-mortise fit. And the style is tops for a dressy pipe.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Anthony, I have been looking at the B42. That is just a gorgeous pipe. Like you, I purchased the St. Paddy Pete and then I saw the B42 on another site and it just did not hit me in the heart.
Maybe soon, I'll find one like you that speaks to me from the beyond.
Enjoy!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's not my cup o' tea so to speak, but there's no denying that it's a good looking pipe. Hopefully it smokes as good as it looks.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Like Ulysses, there is always some Siren out there for us. Some lash ourselves to the mast, others swim out..
Great looking pipe; while probably not one I would buy just due to my own tastes, there is no doubt I have shared your experience.
Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.