Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I have an aran 264. It took time to break in but it's one of my best smokers. Mine is banded, nickel or silver (probably silver don't recall), fishtail. 25+ years old but if they are as well made now as they used to be...or made better, you will have a solid pipe.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I have an aran 264. It took time to break in but it's one of my best smokers. Mine is banded, nickel or silver (probably silver don't recall), fishtail. 25+ years old but if they are as well made now as they used to be...or made better, you will have a solid pipe.
I’m not sure about the older ones but the ones I have been looking at now are with nickel. I’m sure they are Great solid pipes the review I have seen on them are all pretty much all positive.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one can tell you what shape you'll like, but a few of my favorite Peterson shapes are: The B11 bent brandy sitter, that I like so well I bought two; the B10 briar bent Calabash, a nice handful, compact but with an ample chamber; and the 999 bent Rhodesian, a nicely balanced design. Which of these are available in Aran, I don't know, but they are standard Peterson shapes that show up sooner or later in most series.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
No one can tell you what shape you'll like, but a few of my favorite Peterson shapes are: The B11 bent brandy sitter, that I like so well I bought two; the B10 briar bent Calabash, a nice handful, compact but with an ample chamber; and the 999 bent Rhodesian, a nicely balanced design. Which of these are available in Aran, I don't know, but they are standard Peterson shapes that show up sooner or later in most series.
mso489 you probably don’t remember me but we used to talk a lot on my old account that I guess was delegated because I was inactivated on it for seven years. I am not looking for anyone to tell me what shape I like just venting out my life struggles to the PM forum community lol

Reactions: Latakia Dave

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
188C162A-B773-4BA5-BF2C-CA4EC62AD32F.jpeg
I own only one Peterson and it happens to be an Aran (pictured). It’s not their top of the line pipe. Mine came with a black coating in the bowl which when removed showed some sloppy red stain. But I smoke it often. It’s well drilled and a great smoker. A simple billiard, maybe a bit overpriced because it’s a Peterson. Go for it! Enjoy. $100 range pipe is usually reliable.

Reactions: thebigragu

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’m sure they are Great solid pipes the review I have seen on them are all pretty much all positive.
Just so this doesn’t sneak up on you, there are plenty of complaints about Peterson pipes. Poor, off centre drilling, excess stain coming off the stummel, stain in the chamber or shank, gurgles, etc. As a recent example, check out the Christmas 2021 Peterson thread for complaints and pictures of pipes some have returned.

You should know, if only to keep your expectations appropriately low.

I just finished the inaugural smoke in a new Christmas 2021 Milverton. It had excess stain that came off on my fingers, off centre drilling, a somewhat restricted draw, and required a cleaner to soak up some moisture during the smoke (which would only go half way down thanks to the drilling). But I like the stupid thing and I’ll make it work.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Just so this doesn’t sneak up on you, there are plenty of complaints about Peterson pipes. Poor, off centre drilling, excess stain coming off the stummel, stain in the chamber or shank, gurgles, etc. As a recent example, check out the Christmas 2021 Peterson thread for complaints and pictures of pipes some have returned.

I just finished the inaugural smoke in a new Christmas 2021 Milverton. It had excess stain that came off on my fingers, off centre drilling, a somewhat restricted draw, and required a cleaner to soak up some moisture during the smoke (which would only go half way down thanks to the drilling). But I like the stupid thing and I’ll make it work.
They are substantial pipes in the hand. The shanks are a bit meatier than my other billiards which tend to be thin tapered (my preference).

The stain in the bowl won’t matter after a few bowls. I don’t regret the purchase. However, I prefer to shop estate pipes on Blue Room Briars. For the same money you can snag some rare beauties.

Reactions: thebigragu

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army

I know they are not perfect that would be a fancy to believe everything you ever buy will be perfect I have been into pipe for over 10 years and yes I have gotten some flawed pipes but I always found a way to fix the problem

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I may have an Aran or two... I don't recall.

I have about 70 Peterson pipes in my collection. I guess I've been lucky in the last several years as none of the pipes I've bought have been that poorly drilled or had other issues.

I like the shapes and the finishes, and the other accoutrements...

Seems in the last few years it's been a crapshoot as to how well they are drilled. I realize a $100 pipe doesn't get a lot of attention when being manufactured. But that the drilling could be so hit or miss is what bugs me. I have the opinion that I could look at ten of the same pipe and the drilling would be all over the map.

I've sent 5 pipes back this year.

I'd rather spend that money on something that I don't have to worry about whether or not it's drilled reasonably well.

I've bought several Don Warren hardwood pipes in the last 4 weeks and they are wonderful...

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I have a lot of Pete's (over 40) , a couple of which are Arans. My very first pipe was an Aran 221 (Bent Billiard). Very happy with my Arans.

One thing to consider with shape - how will you be smoking (i.e. sitting down, standing up, walking or doing other stuff)?

Personally I prefer bent pipes over straight simply because I do all my smoking outdoors and often whilst standing or walking and I find the bent shapes better balanced. For walking I tend to gravitate to the 68 (Bent Brandy), 69 (Bent Billiard) and the afore mentioned 221 which for me are the perfect size for this - obviously YMMV. Whilst sitting and smoking then I don't have a preference for a particular size or shape - just depends on my mood!

The B10 mentioned by @mso489 is available in Aran in p-lip and fishtail variants is also a good general purpose pipe IMHO.

p.s. I've never had to send a pipe back due to manufacturing defects; perhaps I just have the luck of the Irish?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have a Rathbone in my limited pipe collection. Finish is great, worked like a charm for my first pipe smoking experience last year (haha, well I assume it did since I enjoyed it) and it seems "just right" as a pipe to me.