PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I have a 999 Peterson shape pipe, made in the 1920's and still going strong, it is so light, I don't clench but it is so comfy between my teeth, even with a P-Lip, my partner found it in my collection and fell in love with it, had to search for a modern 999 for her, it's great and she loves it but still after my old one. One thing, I love that she loves my tobacco's, makes life perfect.
What do you find the difference between the centenarian and the modern 999?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
IMG_8470.jpegIMG_8471.jpegIMG_8472.jpegIMG_8473.jpegIMG_8474.jpegIMG_8475.jpegIMG_8476.jpegHere you go, the unbanded Shamrock is from late 70’s or early 80’s and is fairly analogous to a modern one, the overall design change took place in the 1950’s. The banded pipe is a Pre-Republic from the mid to late 40’s and is fairly representative of all PR 999’s. The older pipe is substantially heavier and has much thicker bite zone and more robust shank. The PR is a bit of a war club and a chore to clench at times, while the newer pipe is light and easy to walk around with while clenching.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
What do you find the difference between the centenarian and the modern 999?
The weight, the vintage pipe is remarkably lighter although it is almost the same size and shape, it has no model number or name on it and only lightly smoked and not reamed, it was part of my Grandfathers collection so it is most likely London made, he only smoked London made Petersons and they are hard to date, he passed away in 1965 and his collection was passed to me by my Grandmother in 1970, I know it is 1920's because that is when she bought him it, I have since collected many London Made Peterson's and still track them down.