PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I can see the dimensional differences between these two pipe shapes - that look very similar, but what are the practical differences? I'm planning to buy one of them - just not certain which one? I'd love to hear from some Peterson users as to why they would choose one over the other. Thank you for you input!

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
To me its a matter of chamber depth and overall length - one being shallower and shorter than the other. So if you want a shorter smoke time and a pocket type pipe go smaller. If you want a longer smoke and still retain some pocket ability go larger. They are both bent billiards with relatively same chamber diameter being about 4 thou different.

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
To me it’s a matter of chamber depth and overall length - one being shallower and shorter than the other. So if you want a shorter smoke time and a pocket type pipe go smaller. If you want a longer smoke and still retain some pocket ability go larger. They are both bent billiards with relatively same chamber diameter being about 4 thou different.
Do both of them work well as clenchers?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
but what are the practical differences?
This article has comparison charts across the various lines and may help you decide:

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Comparing photos of Christmas 2023 pipes in each, the shape is remarkably similar, if not intentionally identical. The difference lies in the bowl size, with the 221 being slightly bigger. The 221 also weighs about .3 ounces more. The lengths appear to be the same.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist