PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Peterson will be releasing the 2024 POY in the next few days Mark Irwin reports. Full info and pictures here:

If the shape joins the catalog, I'll hold out for a version with the tapered AB stem.

But first, Peterson needs to fire or retrain the person doing their P-lip stem buttons. They are so worn. My 2023 POY Rua PSB pipe came with such a worn button, that I contacted Peterson, and sent the pipe back to Ireland for a new stem that was slightly better.
I can't accept this P-lip profile. I'm more of a hang on the edge of my teeth than a hard clencher,so perhaps it's just me.

Beveled-Rim-Double-Beads.jpg

First Sealord

Lurker
Dec 27, 2023
7 Seas
It's a very interesting shape! The only thing I find odd is saying the Heritage finish mirrors Dunhill's Bruyere one.
I don't believe it does, there are too many differences. If it's the ambition, it's a worthy one and Peterson has a lot of work to do to get there. :)

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Jon C.P.G.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2023
After seeing this in a smooth finish, I love this shape. It has all the strong muscularity of a Peterson with nice curves and a good ideal chamber size. If I can snag one in a nice smooth I will.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The terracotta version is very good looking. The black sandblast is stunning in the sense that it appears to be a reverse sandblast like raised scrollwork on metal objects. I'll have to consider it but my Erica second 302 is 17mmx35mm and this is 20mmx36mm. If I put the Savinelli system stem on the Erica I can replicate the swan neck and have a filtered pipe ... I'll have to ponder if its worth it to have it.

But I give Peterson credit for improving.

SteveNH

Lurker
May 14, 2013
you should read mark irwans thesis on correct plip and engineering its a thing of beauty. But most of the petersons you see today are done incorrectly.
Pylorns, where might we find the thesis on p-lips that you mention from Mark Irwan?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Pylorns, where might we find the thesis on p-lips that you mention from Mark Irwan?

I can't find the blog post - but Chapter 14 of the Peterson book is all about system pipes with p-lips. I pinged Mark Irwan though.

here is a good primer:

The unsung hero of the true System stem, Peterson’s graduated bore mouthpiece tapers from a 5mm opening at the tenon to 1.5mm at the P-Lip button. So what does it do? According to a 1987 Peterson ad, “the unique graduated bore of the mouthpiece made the suction 15 times weaker when it reached the tobacco chamber. So all the bitter tars and moisture float into the reservoir and could never reach the mouth.” Again relying on physics and a pipesmokers natural habits, this 1894 patent is simple yet effective, essentially slowing the speed of the smoke as it leaves the tobacco chamber and allowing it to pool in the condensation chamber before entering the stem. Without this invisible, yet critical, feature, the System drilling simply wouldn’t work as proficiently.

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
List of finishes is interesting - I got a Rua last year and will look for something different this year, which may also give me more time to look, haha.

Reactions: Nevaditude