PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What vendor would not inspect their inventory?
Surprisingly, most of them. I've gotten several defective factory pipes from more than a few online vendors. I've asked for extra photos from SPC and was told it wasn't possible due to them being in storage.

• Sad
Reactions: Piping Abe

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
We have to take into account these are factory pipes where hundreds upon hundreds are made each day and multiple hands touch each pipe. Flaws happen, mistakes are made. Take car manufacturers for example, how many recalls do we hear each year from major brands? It does happen but to expect them all to be flawless especially from factory pipes is asinine. These aren't Ryan Aldens or the likes. Hell I've heard countless stories of Dunhills being jacked up from the factory. Peterson will fix the problem.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
We have to take into account these are factory pipes where hundreds upon hundreds are made each day and multiple hands touch each pipe. Flaws happen, mistakes are made. Take car manufacturers for example, how many recalls do we hear each year from major brands? It does happen but to expect them all to be flawless especially from factory pipes is asinine. These aren't Ryan Aldens or the likes. Hell I've heard countless stories of Dunhills being jacked up from the factory. Peterson will fix the problem.
Speaking of cars, I purchased a 2022 back in Feburary. I’ve had to take to it back to the dealer twice. Bad gas indicating and a bad battery. They said 10% of batteries from the factory are bad. I don’t know if thats true but its kind of absurd.

Reactions: SaxonX

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Mine arrived today! I'm pleasantly surprised. I'd say it's more of a dark plum looking color, but I can see why some might perceive it as black, but if you got a black pipe, you'll know which one is and which one isn't, lol. Definitely dark, except for the highlights. I like the copper spigot and that and the plum puts me enough in mind of the holidays that it works, plus I love this 68 shape. Here's a view in shade and sun, hope they help anyone looking for "in hand" views.23A3B548-5AFB-4978-B795-C737FAB72D57.jpeg4F7EAF0A-AAB7-4FC8-B4FC-51C9772E739B.jpeg

As a weekend bonus, we figured out what the stem on my Xmas commission will be made of - this screams peanut brittle, caramel, apple butter pumpkin pie, whisky, whiskey to me!

252D86B5-D142-47E4-808F-189B6A0C75AE_1_201_a.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I removed the coating, found some Sutliff Christmas Spice and on the deck imagining Snoopy with the “x” days until Christmas calendar we used to see in the paper during the holiday season. This tobacco is as mellow as some of the sounds of the 70s I’m enjoying. Pipe works well!View attachment 170331
Maybe it’s just circumstance, or the pristine coating free chamber, haha, but this is the most easygoing bowl I’ve enjoyed in some time - the pipe is a winner and I may just dedicate it to this blend

Reactions: scloyd

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I want a Peterson, the problem is all the ones that I like the look of have features I don't want (vulcanite stems, p-lip bits, system or filter), and the ones that have the features I do want (acrylic stems, fishtail bits, non-system/filter) are ones I don't like the look of.

I like the stain color, not sure I dig the copper though (by that, I mean I hate the copper).
Maaaan that was me for so long. For me - No rustication, no P-lip, within a specific small size window. Army mount or spigot a plus. Good grain necessary.

After about 6 months of constant searching I found it. A group 2-3ish Walnut Spigot (just the straight silver, no fancy bulbous stuff), F/T, with lovely cross grain. I couldn't believe me eyes. The best part about it though, it's a superb smoke.
If they made more like it, I'd be a Peterson collector.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Maaaan that was me for so long. For me - No rustication, no P-lip, within a specific small size window. Army mount or spigot a plus. Good grain necessary.

After about 6 months of constant searching I found it. A group 2-3ish Walnut Spigot (just the straight silver, no fancy bulbous stuff), F/T, with lovely cross grain. I couldn't believe me eyes. The best part about it though, it's a superb smoke.
I’ve grown to like the rusticated Petes and never thought I would a couple years ago. Like the feel. Turn of the century to WWII with anything, give me a classic smooth bowl!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Mine arrived today! I'm pleasantly surprised. I'd say it's more of a dark plum looking color, but I can see why some might perceive it as black, but if you got a black pipe, you'll know which one is and which one isn't, lol. Definitely dark, except for the highlights. I like the copper spigot and that and the plum puts me enough in mind of the holidays that it works, plus I love this 68 shape. Here's a view in shade and sun, hope they help anyone looking for "in hand" views.View attachment 170157View attachment 170156

As a weekend bonus, we figured out what the stem on my Xmas commission will be made of - this screams peanut brittle, caramel, apple butter pumpkin pie, whisky, whiskey to me!

View attachment 170158
Nice looking pipe.
I've been on the fence, but after seeing your pics, I'll probably spring for a Christmas Pete.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I removed the coating, found some Sutliff Christmas Spice and on the deck imagining Snoopy with the “x” days until Christmas calendar we used to see in the paper during the holiday season. This tobacco is as mellow as some of the sounds of the 70s I’m enjoying. Pipe works well!View attachment 170331

Looks lovely. I was far from being enamored by their in-your-face rustications. But this pipe is a real beaut.
I might snatch one myself.

How did you remove the coating? Sandpaper?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Looks lovely. I was far from being enamored by their in-your-face rustications. But this pipe is a real beaut.
I might snatch one myself.

How did you remove the coating? Sandpaper?
Parts of about 4 paper towels and hot water. Scrunched up the paper towels, got them damp, twisted around a few times, removed, got the next piece, and when they came out clean, I was done! Actually the easiest one I've done of my Petersons, but none have been difficult, just take more paper towels. I did give a couple of careful wipe arounds with some 220 grit sandpaper after that, just because, but wasn't all that necessary.

Reactions: vates

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Parts of about 4 paper towels and hot water. Scrunched up the paper towels, got them damp, twisted around a few times, removed, got the next piece, and when they came out clean, I was done! Actually the easiest one I've done of my Petersons, but none have been difficult, just take more paper towels. I did give a couple of careful wipe arounds with some 220 grit sandpaper after that, just because, but wasn't all that necessary.

Thank you!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama

I saw a few on SPC that fit the bill of what I would want, 3 in total. There were maybe a total of 10 that fit my parameters (min bowl diameter, acrylic fishtail stem, no filter), I just didn't like how many of them looked (shape and/or finish).

If I did get a Peterson, I would want army/spigot mount, but it wouldn't be necessary.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Anyone else have photos of their smooth finished pipes from this series? I'm trying to get a feel for if most of these pipes show grain (like @brooklynpipeclub's) or are just an even color of really dark brown (like my heritage 2022 POTY 14B).