PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Greetings! I recently discovered this wonderful site and the radio show; this is the first thread I've started.

I've been smoking pipes for a long time, but mostly on my own as something I personally enjoy. I do know a couple other pipe-smokers but I'm not part of a club. Only recently I discovered the pipe community on YouTube and realized that there is a true subculture built around the world of pipes and pipe-smoking. I wish I'd not waited so long to make this discovery!

For a while now I've been on a search for the perfect tobacco (if there is such a thing). I happened upon a Lord of the Rings-inspired review of Peter Stokkebye's Nougat and realized the connection it has to the films (some of my favorite films of all time), so I knew I had to try it. Apparently this is a pretty commonly-known story but it was all-new to me.

This past week I got in my first pouch from Pipes and Cigars, a company I've had a lot of luck ordering with over the years (mostly OTCs and the occasional pipe cleaner order, etc.). I have to say, this Nougat is the best tobacco I've smoked in the fifteen or so years I've been at the hobby. I'm strictly and unashamedly an aromatic smoker and some of my go-to brands have been Captain Black, Carter Hall, Admiral's Choice, and some of the big jar blends at local shops (which have mostly been letdowns).

While I'm smoking the Nougat it has many of the same characteristics of other aromatics, but once I'm done and taste lingers on, I really do get a "nougat" flavor. It's actually very much like the taste that lingers after eating a Three Musketeers bar!

Do try this wonderful blend if you're an aromatic smoker and have been on the fence about getting some.

I'm looking forward to reading more and participating in this forum.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Welcome to the forum brother!!!

I'm sure you'll soon become familiar with everyone here and realise what a beautiful and amiable community this is!

Nougat happens to be my absolute favourite aromatic. Like you, I first tried it after finding out about the connection to the LOTR films. I lit my first bowl and it was love at the first puff!

I'm pretty sure the association with the films plays a big part of my fascination with the blend. But I still reckon it's a top notch aromatic with just the right balance of flavours.

Excellent tobacco choice!

Thanks for sharing brother. Happy puffing!!

Reactions: Sam Gamgee

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Yeah I heard the PS Nougat story and another story where the tobacco they had was just laid out on tables by flavors.

I enjoy the PS Nougat as well but recently tried the Gawith & Hoggarth Kentucky Nougat and I liked that even more.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Welcome to the forum brother!!!

I'm sure you'll soon become familiar with everyone here and realise what a beautiful and amiable community this is!

Nougat happens to be my absolute favourite aromatic. Like you, I first tried it after finding out about the connection to the LOTR films. I lit my first bowl and it was love at the first puff!

I'm pretty sure the association with the films plays a big part of my fascination with the blend. But I still reckon it's a top notch aromatic with just the right balance of flavours.

Excellent tobacco choice!

Thanks for sharing brother. Happy puffing!!
Well met and thank you for the warm welcome! I, too, wondered if the association with the films has colored my perception and experience: but if so, I actually consider it very much a serendipitous thing. Often the most amazing things in life come along as chance encounters like this. Discovering Tolkien (via those films, by the way) has been one of a handful of reality-altering experiences that changed the course of my life for the better.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Well met and thank you for the warm welcome! I, too, wondered if the association with the films has colored my perception and experience: but if so, I actually consider it very much a serendipitous thing. Often the most amazing things in life come along as chance encounters like this. Discovering Tolkien (via those films, by the way) has been one of a handful of reality-altering experiences that changed the course of my life for the better.
Same here!! I didn't know Tolkien before the films and now he's one of my favourite figures in English literature!

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Same here!! I didn't know Tolkien before the films and now he's one of my favourite figures in English literature!
I am sure there are millions of us that discovered Tolkien and his wonderful world via those films. They will always hold a special place in my heart because of the path they set me on and what they awakened within me. When I finally made it to the books (years later), it was the Hobbits and their way of life that got me into pipe-smoking. I can still remember the taste of my first tobacco as I'd drive my old Mazda truck, smoke my MM corncob, and listen to the LOTR audiobooks read by Rob Inglas. Great memories!

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
I am sure there are millions of us that discovered Tolkien and his wonderful world via those films. They will always hold a special place in my heart because of the path they set me on and what they awakened within me. When I finally made it to the books (years later), it was the Hobbits and their way of life that got me into pipe-smoking. I can still remember the taste of my first tobacco as I'd drive my old Mazda truck, smoke my MM corncob, and listen to the LOTR audiobooks read by Rob Inglas. Great memories!
We'll have to get together sometime you and I for a bowl or two and a LOTR marathon!!!

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
That is funny, because I think I watched the SAME video you did, about someone calling up and asking if they could score them 40 lbs of tobacco? I enjoy aromatics and I like LOTRs so, hearing that, I bought some myself. I have smoked a few bowls, but haven't been blown away by it...at least not yet. It's good, but I haven't really had a chance to sit down and relax with it. The times I have, were smoking while doing some work. I'll fill a bowl with it next time I can sit back and enjoy and see if that changes anything.

That aside, it's great when you find a tobacco that opens your eyes and makes you want to just buy pounds of the stuff! For me, it was Quiet Nights and SPC PP Special Reserve.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Update:
I’ve spent a couple weeks with the Nougat and have to say I really like it lot. In fact, I think I’ve found a new favorite! (I have another shipment of it on the way, this time from SmokingPipes.com.) After this tobacco dried out _just a bit_ it was pretty much perfect for my taste. It’s nice to find the right blend.