PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I have a Pete 120 shell meer and is a great if not my best smoker. I have noticed that the tenon looks like it is threaded slightly so I googled it and it appears that Peterson did have tubes at one time. From what I understand is that this one is from the 50's and was wondering if anyone knows if a Dunhill tube would fit in the p-lip stem?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Probably not. I never saw a Pete with an inner tube, although I have seen them with a condenser of sorts. They're only about 1/4-1/2" long. If you google Peterson pipe condenser you'll see what I'm talking about. Not sure if you can buy them.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I agree Sam I have never seen an inner tube on a pete but many had an extension on the tenon as part of the system.I think they are available from peterson as I have a pipe with a new stem and extension fitted recently

you could try to contact Glen at Petersons and ask

shop@peterson.ie

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have bought Peterson classic pipes in the early 70ties fitted with an inner tube just like Dunhills.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Petersons use two different type of tubes.
The threaded, screw-in tube is known as a "chimney". They were originally made of bone, then plastic and I've also seen aluminum. If you sent a threaded stem back to Peterson, they will fit the tube. The tube is part of the system function. I assume many were discarded. Mark Irwin talked me into using the tube and it does make for a better smoke.
Here's a pre-Republic chimney, on 9BC Premier Selection pipe.
peterson_9bc_finish-12-e1430521533246.jpg

Here's the plastic chimney on a 1974 Shape 69
peterson_69_sterling_finished-11.jpg

Peterson also used slip-fit, aluminum tubes on some of their lines (similar to a Duhill tube). This is a tube from Junior line pipe. The tenon, without the tube is very large and the draw too open, so I smoke this (and its stablemate) with the tube. The tube did keep the shank area very clean on a well-used estate pipe.
peterson_kapruff6.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a related thread, which shows the aluminum chimney (referred to as a condenser here).

The OP in this thread says you can order them from Peterson, at no cost. On older pipes, you must send them the stem to have the proper piece fitted.
https://rebornpipes.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/peterson_69_sterling_finished-11.jpg?w=625&h=469

Status
Not open for further replies.