PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
I just had my first bowl of Frog Morton on the Bayou, a very nice unique smoke.

My question is how much perique is in this blend? Light, medium, or strong.

Any other suggestions for perique blends this same strength or maybe a bit more.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just tried that one meself. For all of Perique's rep for being pungent. FMOTB was quite mild. I got it because another baccy was out but I have no regrets. FMOTT is the next I shall try.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
If you ever want a BIG blast of Perique, smoke some of C&D's Bayou Night. It's 50% Perique! It also has one of the biggest nicotine hits of any tobacco I've smoked.
Smokey

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I think Hearth & Home's Frenchy's Sunzabitches is also a Perique loaded blend.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
for perique i think escudo is sort of the benchmark for a virginia/perique blend, and as far as i know that's how it's used the vast majority of the time - blended with virginia. for milder percentage of perique, orlik golden sliced.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Esoterica Dorchester

Escudo

Solani 633

Reiner Long Golden Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
All come to mind when I think of Virginia/perique blends. Esoterica Dorchester is loaded with the stuff so much so that it makes my eyes water when I exhale through my nose. Escudo is also laced pretty well with perique. Solani 633 is one of the most tasty naturally sweet Virginia flakes out there and it has just the right amount of perique in it to add a little spicy tweak to the Virginia, Reiner Long golden flake is similar to Solani 633 but a bit more earthy, and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls is very much in the same camp as Escudo. If I had to leave them all behind but one, it would be a toss up between Escudo and Solani 633.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
On the Bayou seemed (to me) rather light as far as perique blends go.

H&H's Louisiana Red has a sizeable pinch of perique mixed with red Virginia. It's a good VaPer. I'll second the DeLuxe Navy Rolls. You might also try Peterson's Irish Oak. There's a lot of good ones out there to try.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Perique is the highest in nic of any tobacco, as I understand it. I'm not much of a Va/Per guy, but a touch of perique in a latakia blend can be quite tasty. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.