Perique or Oriental Causing Spicy Flavor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff394

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums but have been smoking for about 2 years. Haven't ventured out in to English blends too much, but had a question about one that I thought was interesting, Midnight Ride from Dan tobacco. It contains Virginia, latakia, Orientals, and Perique. About halfway through the bowl, I get this spicy, hot-sauce type of flavor, which to me ruins an otherwise great smoke. My question is: is it the Perique or Oriental tobacco that is causing this flavor? I really like the nutty, dark flavor of the tobacco, but have to put it down when the hot sauce kicks in.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your comments.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jeff, welcome to the forum. I believe it is the Perique that is giving you that spicy flavor. It is considered a spicy condiment tobacco that I personally love. In my experience I have not noticed any Oriental giving me the kind of spiciness you are referring to.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Orientals lend a "creaminess" to the smokes don't they? I'm still not too familiar with their general role.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
My money would be on the Perique causing the spicy notes in the blend. It's a bit of a "love it or hate it" variety of tobacco.

jeff394

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
Not sure I hate it, but I'm certainly not partial to it. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate them all!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
+1 Roth. Some people have a chemical reaction, probably with the PH of red Virginian tobacco. This is not common, but if this is your first ride into Perique, which is full with a spicy pepper flavor, than you should try some others and see if that's a tobacco leaf you like. It's become a very important component in many of the "golden years" blends. Once in limited supply and expensive, it's now available in good supply and price, adding a separate layer of flavor.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For a smoother, lighter Perique experience, I would recommend smoking some PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. I love heavy Perique, but still appreciate the smoothness of LBF.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Fox and the Hound by Tobacco Galleria
That's a nice little light English. Good quality tobacco. Only one of the Tobacco Galleria series that's worth a darn, IMO. (TG is an Altadis series, btw.)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'll just add that while I suspect it's the perique that's giving the OP issues here, it's not correct to say, as another poster did, that "orientals give a blend creaminess." Some do. But there are a number of different orientals, and they act differently. Some are "creamy." Others are spicy or acrid or rich or sweet. It all depends on the leaf.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'll just add that while I suspect it's the perique that's giving the OP issues here, it's not correct to say, as another poster did, that "orientals give a blend creaminess." Some do. But there are a number of different orientals, and they act differently. Some are "creamy." Others are spicy or acrid or rich or sweet. It all depends on the leaf.

Excellent point. HH Vintage Syrian from MacB is a prime example of a spicy flavor, but not the perique heat. It's the orientals.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm of the same mind concerning latakia, which for me is just an occasional indulgence, and Syrian, of course, tickles my fancy much more than the Cyprian variety (two totally different tobaccos, IMO).
I smoke a lot of latakia, and I totally agree - Syrian is wonderful stuff.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Does perique mellow with age? I just got a tin of Nightcap and all I taste is the perique.

Status
Not open for further replies.