PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ve bought some Peterson/Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls, which I’m not getting on with at the moment so I’ve jarred it up.

Is this tobacco going to improve with some time in a jar or will it deteriorate? I’m wondering if the perique might have a negative effect on the Virginias?

Jun 23, 2019
Those should age nicely.

There's a lot of debate about aging, both in terms of how it happens and what it does to what tobacco. General rule of thumb, I've found, is that the less processed and the more virginias a blend contains the more likely it will be to aging nicely.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've only rarely noticed any dramatic improvements with aging. What I have noticed is a dramatic improvement with drying out a tobacco to the same levels they dry out to in a jar. I would say that aging smooths out a blend which I find neither a vast improvement or deleterious to any of the blends I've tried. Except in a few rare cases. (Iwan Reis Three Star is probably the most dramatic improvement I've experienced from aging.)

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Those should age nicely.

There's a lot of debate about aging, both in terms of how it happens and what it does to what tobacco. General rule of thumb, I've found, is that the less processed and the more virginias a blend contains the more likely it will be to aging nicely.
I’ve got a block of St James’ Plug that seems to have got a lot...calmer (for want of a better word) having been sat in a jar for a year but it could be my tastebuds that have altered.

Jun 23, 2019
I’ve got a block of St James’ Plug that seems to have got a lot...calmer (for want of a better word) having been sat in a jar for a year but it could be my tastebuds that have altered.

Perique and Latakia are known to "settle down" a bit once you jar them.

Nicotine also trends down over time. A lot of the stronger blends I need to go 5+ years before I can smoke them without getting too jittery. LOL

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I've gotten to the point that I won't smoke a blend until it's sat in a jar for 8 weeks at a minimum. Speaking for myself, I feel that it helps the blend settle down. The only blends I smoke upon opening are OTC blends...tub to pipe.
To be honest, I find that the OTC’s in the UK benefit from sitting in a jar for a few weeks. There can be an overt smell of vinegar when they are first opened and this seems to dissipate greatly if given some time in a jar. I appreciate that pouch note isn’t everything but it does add an element to the smoking pleasure.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Perique and Latakia are known to "settle down" a bit once you jar them.

Nicotine also trends down over time. A lot of the stronger blends I need to go 5+ years before I can smoke them without getting too jittery. LOL
The Presbyterian Mix I’ve had in a jar for nearly a year, has certainly turned into a different animal over this time. Hopefully the Navy Rolls will do something like this.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
I've gotten to the point that I won't smoke a blend until it's sat in a jar for 8 weeks at a minimum.
Freshly cured Virginias, will rip my throat out. It's always at least the following year before I can get a sense of whether the newest year's crop is any good, after it has set in a large bag. And, then even after blending it, another year in a jar before I could call it a decent smoke. Funny how time does that.

Reactions: FurCoat

64alex

May 10, 2016
I think what is affected more by aging are the Virginias as they have the highest sugar content and so can mellow and change more. I suspect given generally Perique blends have a high proportion of Virginia, is the Virginia portion which is the most responsible of the aging process. Whether it is good or not you have to decide for yourself.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.