PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks all. As always, I appreciate the feedback, especially when there seems to be a general consensus.

I usually allow tobaccos to get fairly dry, even using a lamp to assist when necessary. I also try to avoid most of the goopy stuff. However, I recently took a shot on a tin of Barbados Plantation by Sutliff. Oh man that stuff smells like heaven... and tastes like it too when you get it to burn just right. On that last bit, I've been hit or miss. And seeing as how drying out Sutliff tobaccos can be damn near impossible, I was looking for some guidance on which side to err; loose or firm.

Cheers.
I'm not a fan of goopy aromatics so when I've bought an aromatic for the first time [like Mark Twain and Rum and Maple for e.g.] and found them too moist for my tastes, rather than drying them out, I mix in a much drier straight Virginia [Ryan & Daughters Windsail arrives rather dry so is perfect for blending] which does not detract from the flavour as much as drying can.
Occasionally I'll make small batches using an English blend for something different.

Once it's been jarred for a few days it's ready to smoke.