PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donoj

Lurker
Jun 29, 2020
What's the best way to store Peretti tobacco ? Should I keep it in the original cans or transfer to mason jars ? I have several cans from a recent purchase. Thanks in advance donoj.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The paint cans seem to be airtight and rust proof, but they aren't. Round tins are the best bet for storing for years/decades, but they too fail. The canisters that Pease and C&D use for bulk are good, but perhaps for no more than 10 or 20 years? I've heard about problems with them. But other than that, literally nothing is secure, not square tins or any bag.

Every week there is a thread about whether a particular storage container is safe, and the answer is almost always the above. Making the effort to store safely mean the qualities in the tobacco at purchase time persist until smoked.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
The rule of thumb is if you can smell the tobacco even when the tin is sealed then you know something's up (and it's not good).

The problem I have with this method is that any tin that’s been exposed to ambient tobacco smell can exude a yummy scent even though the seal is tight. This scent is on the exterior of the tin and, unless you remove the scent, will remain a looooooong time. Tins from many modern etailers don’t have this issue bc they are warehoused separately from loose bulk tobacco, but that was not the case when I started building my cellar. As such, there is a lot of ambient tobacco scent present.

I’ve taken to doing a sniff test on all new tins I receive, though. Bags and boxes, too. When I can, I store the tins in separate, odor free bins to try to avoid contamination. It’s not always possible since earlier bins already have a scent.

Reactions: logs
Status
Not open for further replies.