PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Why take the time to type "I don't know" if you don't know? Well, unless a question is directed specifically to you.
more the idea that sometimes people should just accept how little they know especially about certain subjects. I've heard people talk so much and like they're a full authority on things that they don't even have a rudimentary understanding of. And not as an opinion but as a fact.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
If I fitz I sitz? Can haz cheezburger now?

I’m confused. Nothing new there I suppose. But … WTF? Over.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hahaha, on the issue of "I don't know", why, I just got earlier to a point in this novel where:

...Somebody at the club asked Remnant for his theory.
"My theory," said that ingenious person, "is that human progress is simply a long march from one inconceivable to another. Look at that airship of ours that came over Porth yesterday: ten years ago that would have been an inconceivable sight. Take the steam engine, take printing, take the theory of gravitation: they were all inconceivable till somebody thought of them. So it is, no doubt, with this infernal dodgery that we're talking about: the Huns have found it out, and we haven't; and there you are. We can't conceive how these poor people have been murdered, because the method's inconceivable to us."
The club listened with some awe to this high argument. After Remnant had gone, one member said:
"Wonderful man, that."
"Yes," said Dr. Lewis. "He was asked whether he knew something. And his reply really amounted to 'No, I don't.' But I have never heard it better put."
—Machen, Arthur. The Terror. London: Duckworth, 1917.​

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hahaha, on the issue of "I don't know", why, I just got earlier to a point in this novel where:

...Somebody at the club asked Remnant for his theory.
"My theory," said that ingenious person, "is that human progress is simply a long march from one inconceivable to another. Look at that airship of ours that came over Porth yesterday: ten years ago that would have been an inconceivable sight. Take the steam engine, take printing, take the theory of gravitation: they were all inconceivable till somebody thought of them. So it is, no doubt, with this infernal dodgery that we're talking about: the Huns have found it out, and we haven't; and there you are. We can't conceive how these poor people have been murdered, because the method's inconceivable to us."
The club listened with some awe to this high argument. After Remnant had gone, one member said:
"Wonderful man, that."
"Yes," said Dr. Lewis. "He was asked whether he knew something. And his reply really amounted to 'No, I don't.' But I have never heard it better put."
—Machen, Arthur. The Terror. London: Duckworth, 1917.​
awesome

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and rajangan

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Their is a leak, out of sight in the garage and it was out of mind until you had to suggest this.
This is truly a sign..
You will take this as an omen to have it fixed before fate takes it's course and the gods punish you for some previous wrong doing.
And of course, you will thank me whe the time comes by sending hoards of tobacco across the Pacific Ocean to Australia, in non descript packaging as not to upset the Gods of Customs and Tax Revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.