Penzance? Am i crazy, or do others not care for it???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Yer welcome Michael
Penzance, yeah it wasn't too hard for me to send a couple of ounces of the pound of it I have. I'm glad I have it in my collection, but it's only an occasional smoke for me.
Mainly because of the strength of flavor, after taste, and body. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it borders on overpowering for me.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
For a lot of people I talked too Penzance is one of those Love it or Hate it blends. I happen to really Love the blend myself.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I do like Penzance but it's really just another English in the collection. I too find that fresh from the tin it is a dull, drab and vaguely smokey smoke. But if you dry it out for a few hours it really opens up and you can taste the spice, sweetness and incense like flavours along with the smoked leather and peat flavours.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
nsfisher.. it won't if you put the right end of your pipe in your mouth :rofl:
Sorry mate.. couldn't resist ;-)

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Well, it's a well established fact that Lat blends trigger migraines, so much so people probably sick of me saying it.
I'm not. I thought I was the only person that it gave a headache. I love the flavor, but I might as well take aspirin before smoking cause it happens every time.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You'd get the same variety of responses no matter what the tobacco
Amen.
Truly, it is all a matter if taste. I am quite fond of Penzance - I think it is an excellent blend - but I don't feel the need to rush around and find lots more. (I don't feel the need for that for any blend,tbh.)
Personally, I dislike the Frogs. Tried one ages ago - don't remember which - and disliked it intensely. There's some top note they've added that just does not work for me at all. I am not super fond of the whole "cross over English" genre at all - there's one or two that ring my chimes, but I don't go exploring. Likewise, I am not much of an aro smoker - a bunch of you fellas love the MacB 7 Seas collection - I'll try one if someone gives me a sample - like if the box pass ever shows up - but I have no intention of spending money before then.
But to each his own - smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. :puffy:

Jul 12, 2011
@nsfisher-If you haven't tried Dunhill's EMP yet and you your orientals "up-front"

I would give this one a try...a great blend of sweet orientals....
BTW: I gotta get some of that MC blend Kevin just posted a review about,

sound like a great up-front oriental blend...guess why they put it in the name ;-)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I tried 8 oz and initially like it. But, after smoking a few more bowls, the medicated type or camphor taste just didn't suit me. It wasn't awful, but for the money, not a tobacco I'd buy again. Same for SG FVF, I just send my last tin to a pipe friend who hasn't tried it. Come to think of it, the flavor rage of the day blends just don't seem to suit me (FVF, Penzance, new Sobranie). That is good news for my wallet!

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I've been smoking latakia for a long, long time and I can honestly say that Penzance has never blown me away. It is unique and distinctive, so I can see why so many people swear by it, but it's not a type of unique that rings my bell. I keep a couple of tins around because there are times when I crave it's odd, iodine-like flavor, but as a rule there are a dozen other blends of that type I go to first.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Ive not smoked it yet but from what i understand stirlings American Patriot is the same in the tast dept but without the lingering tast and is ribbin cut rather then flake

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@jaysin;
Na, I have to disagree with you there mate. I am actually having a bowl of American Patriot right now. There is just no taste comparison. However, you are correct about the cut. Just my opinion of course.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Yep, I have to side with nsfisher when he makes the comment to jaysin that unless you've smoked a bowl of it, you can't really make a comment on it's taste/flavor. I also believe that it's not even in the same league as Penzance.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I also believe that it's not even in the same league as Penzance.
While I enjoy American Patriot as well as Penzance, I have to agree with Hobiedog1.... with the added deertongue and its "vanilla" type flavor/aroma in Patriot, it becomes a different type of blend.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 to Rickpal

+1 Hobie1dog

+1 Nsfisher
Penzance is amazing. And so is American Patriot. But they are completely different animals. Not even close.
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.