PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
So I just got this Nording for...like the title says penny's on the dollar, and i would like to know more about it. I now the Erik Nording name, but very little about his pipes. This one has a #2 on the shank. Feels great in the hand. I smoked it last night with 50% Balken Supreme and 50% Irish flake, which sounds strange but i find to be d
20181003_150046-600x450.jpg
elicious.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have huge hands and I pack enough tobacco in it last night for a 1.5 hrs smoke. Its actually fairly big.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
According to an interview done with Erik Nording a #1 would be the top grade and a #4 would be an entry level grade, so your #2 would be 1 grade down from the top grade, enjoy it!

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Erik Nording and his Nording pipes are major names in pipe making, starting with his major production of freehands in, I think, the 1960's. Erik Nording was trained as an engineer (I'm not sure if that was academic or apprenticeship training, but the precision is evident in the pipes). He's all over the range of pipe shapes and sizes. Notably, the quality is remarkably good and consistent, whether you are buying some of his econo-line pipes, like my old Eriksen bent billiard) or up-market pipes like the zebra hunting pipe my wife gave me for Christmas, on up to some of his primo pipes for a lot more. I have heard he contracts out some of his pipe making outside of Denmark; I don't know if that's true, but it hardly matters. He knows what he expects, and so do his contractors, if any. He's a personable guy and people always enjoy his visits and presentations at pipe events. He's now one of the deans of pipe makers. You can rely and his pipes and will enjoy them for years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a few Nordings, all great smokers. But to answer your question, I'd need to know in specific terms what pennies on the dollar means. You could have spent 20 pennies on the dollar or 120 pennies on the dollar. In any case, if you like the pipe, what more matters?

Jan 8, 2013
Your pipe is one of the lower grades of the graded "freehand" pipes... basically what the traditional opinion of what a freehand shape is, a somewhat dublin-esqe shape hand carved with a military style mount. I would put these pipes in the next class above the Nording Signature line of freehands and perhaps above some of the mass produced pipes such as the Valhalla line, but below the Royal Flush line of pipes as far as grading goes. And that's because Nordings freehands are practically mass produced themselves. Does all that matter? In my opinion only to the person buying the pipe. My opinion is thus.... I have Nordings from the low cost Nording signature to the highest grade of 20. Brand new, the cost of these pipes has a large range. A Signature freehand can cost between 70 and 100 U.S dollars. And I've seen grade 20s go for above 900 dollars brand new. (Get to the point already, Anthony!!!!) Of all my Nordings, whether a Signature, a Royal Flush, any high grade from 13 to 20, they all smoke fantastically. And my lowly Nording Signature freehand... one of my favorite pipes, that I'm more likely to reach for than my high grades. (Oh for the love of.... I always end up babbling on and on in these Nording posts!) Unless you paid over 125 dollars for your pipe... see example... https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=292993 then you didn't pay over it's value. But regardless of price, it's likely going to smoke like a dream. There I'm finished :mrgreen: Congratulations and enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:
Edit to add:
In any case, if you like the pipe, what more matters?
Sable said it so much better than I. :lol:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Totes agree. $35 for just about ANY Nording is a good price, & especially for that gem. You got a fabulous deal, which of course is just icing on the icing of a fabulous smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.