PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Should I be using a penetrating oil finish after applying a color like Fiebings and before Tripoli buffing and waxing? I’ve never done it but had good results...

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don’t.
I feel an oil soaked piece of briar is a wet piece of briar.
Pipes that are oil cured are not just slathered with oil.

Reactions: jhowell

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Penetrating oils won't penetrate briar worth beans, mostly. The most ordinary process in staining would be something like stain it, sand it back, possibly stain again, then sand again and/or wipe with alcohol. Then most pipe makers treat the pipe with either a thinned out shellac mixture or a drying oil (tung oil for example) before polishing, so that the stain doesn't come off on the buffing wheels or the user's hands later on.

Reactions: dmcmtk

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"OIl Curing" is a totally different process, and nothing at all to do with staining or polishing, and the stummels are soaked, sometimes heated, and then dried after.

Reactions: dmcmtk

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
After going after the stain on a pipe with a variety of solvents and even soaking in everclear, I don't think an oil is going to penetrate much. Even soaking in everclear had almost no effect. It certainly did not seem the briar absorbed any of the solvents. I plan on trying some Danish oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.