Pending Move To Colorado. What Am In For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Here is a great thread. If you owned them before July 2013 you good for sure.

https://www.ar-15.co/threads/151771-Moving-to-Colorado-with-2015-magazines-(Magpul-AK-Glock-etc-)?s=4059235b9316f03109373f5160c6cb09

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
We spent a few days in Colorado 2 years ago...It's very challenging finding an outdoor patio at a restaurant where you can smoke a pipe. Some stupid rule that it has to be 50' or so from the door... Greta and I still managed to find a place and have a great time...

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Be prepared for the hassle of having to get you beer wine and liquor at state run stores.

Sorry but this is incorrect. I have lived here 27 years and during that time there have never been state run liquor stores. The poster may be confusing us with that hell hole next door called Utah :nana: There is a 40% state tobacco tax, so most tins at the B&M run about $12-16 for a 50 gram tin. I don't know what your housing plans are, but a small starter home in the Denver metro area will run you close to 300K. The pipe club in Denver meets every second Thursday of the month at Delaney's, a cigar bar downtown. And as already stated, it is quite arid here. In summer the humidity in Denver will be in the low teens or even single digits by late in the afternoon. You'll have light nosebleeds until you adjust to the low humidity.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Collectivism, but hell that's everywhere these days. Kids actually believe that Stalin and Mao raised the quality of life in Russia and China. I guess they think it's cool to tax (steal) money, swtf Tax Pot. Like that's a great Idea. Maybe the quality of life in Colorado has improved or could have just turned to pot, yet you can't smoke that stinking tobacco pipe in our restaurant, sir. Go Bernie! Let us know and smoke a joint if it gets too damn bad. :wink:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Sorry but this is incorrect. I have lived here 27 years and during that time there have never been state run liquor stores. The poster may be confusing us with that hell hole next door called Utah :nana:
Well, things must have changed since you were there!
Colorado is among a handful of states were where gas stations, grocery stores and convenience stores are only allowed to sell beer with an alcohol content of 3.2 percent.
Denver Liqour Law

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yep ... separate trip to get your beer and wine from groceries. Not "state-run" but a separate liquor store.
My brother lives in Denver and I get up there about once a year ... congrats and good luck on the move!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I love Colorado..... never lived there, only visited twice......

Its good for a person to move around a bit, lifes too short to stay in one place......... Lots to see in this great country!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWD2WIvRQk

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
@jackswilling

But that's the problem. I purchased a Yugo AK and half a dozen HiCap Magpuls less than six months ago. Maybe I should sell the Magpuls and invest in some older soviet or chinese steel magazines?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Let's see - you already know about Tewkesbury, so that's a start. There's a pipe/cigar/wine shop called Jerri's in the Denver Pavilions, just up 16th street from Tewkesbury, and a number of other B&Ms scattered around (Edwards, Prince Philip's, Cigars on 6th). There was a pipe club that met at a downtown cigar bar on Thursday nights - since I have other things happening that night, I never made it to a meeting and I'm not sure if they're still around.
Firearms wise, I'd check with someone with legal training. A good buddy of mine has numerous 30 round mags for his custom AR-15, but they're well and truly grandfathered in. There are a number of gun clubs in the area (up in the foothills, down south by Cherry Creek reservoir), as well as a few commercial ranges (Firing Line, BluCore, Silver Bullet, the Shootist),

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Let's see - you already know about Tewkesbury, so that's a start. There's a pipe/cigar/wine shop called Jerri's in the Denver Pavilions, just up 16th street from Tewkesbury, and a number of other B&Ms scattered around (Edwards, Prince Philip's, Cigars on 6th). There was a pipe club that met at a downtown cigar bar on Thursday nights - since I have other things happening that night, I never made it to a meeting and I'm not sure if they're still around.
Firearms wise, I'd check with someone with legal training regarding the legality of your mags. A good buddy of mine has numerous 30 round mags for his custom AR-15, but they're well and truly grandfathered in. There are a number of gun clubs in the area (up in the foothills, down south by Cherry Creek reservoir), as well as a few commercial ranges (Firing Line, BluCore, Silver Bullet, the Shootist), and a municipal range in Cherry Creek State Park.
Welcome to Colorado! Despite all the rumors, you will NOT actually be issued a Subaru and a Nalgene bottle at the border. :D

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
It's very nice here. I'm from the east and I really missed the trees for a while, but I'll trade our low humidity and over 300 days of sun per year for a few maples.

It usually cools down at night after sunset, so a nice bowl of Nightcap can be enjoyed year round. :D

Because of the dry air & elevation that others have mentioned, make sure you drink plenty of liquids --especially while smoking.

Welcome!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Yep ... separate trip to get your beer and wine from groceries. Not "state-run" but a separate liquor store.

Sorry again, but this is also incorrect. Colorado has privately owned liquor stores that sell full strength beer, spirits, and wine. Grocery stores sell only 3.2 beer, no wine or spirits. I know that sounds odd, but that is why the grocery stores are lobbying to change the outdated law. And by the way, there is a liquor store on every corner and the competition is fairly intense, especially between the mega stores in the metro area.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Maybe I should sell the Magpuls and invest in some older soviet or chinese steel magazines?"
See if you can hit a gun show before you move and trade them/sell them for older mags. Based on what I am seeing, I would not tempt fate. I visit Colorado/Denver area every month for a few days for business. The no public smoking thing has created an interesting rental market for homes for pot smoking tourists. I believe the public pot smoking issues is soon to be resolved, but tobacco, not so sure that will be accommodated, which is crazy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yep ... separate trip to get your beer and wine from groceries.
Sorry again, but this is also incorrect
Grocery stores sell only 3.2 beer, no wine or spirits.
That's what I was trying to say ... unless you want 3.2 beer, it's a separate trip. Last time I was in Durango, I stopped in the Albertsons for some supplies but in order to buy our whiskey we had to run down the street to a liquor store.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
The alcohol thing seems a lot like Kentucky where liquor stores are often separate buildings connected to the grocery stores. My wife's company has the their liquor store separate from the grocery. Connected by a wall, but separate entrances. The grocery store only stocks beer and wine, no hard liquor.

I am currently suffering my third allergy induced sinus infection of the year, hoping if we do end up moving, the new climate will be better on my allergies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I believe the public pot smoking issues is soon to be resolved, but tobacco, not so sure that will be accommodated, which is crazy.
Oh, it was resolved under the legalization legislation. No public consumption of pot, period (though that doesn't actually stop an awful lot of folks). Smoking tobacco out in public is still mostly legal, as long as you're not within 15-25 feet of a doorway. Last time I was on Auraria Campus, they'd set up a couple of designated smoking areas (uncovered, of course), but most public parks still allow it, and it's legal inside of tobacco shops (but not in any other public building).

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
That's what I was trying to say ... unless you want 3.2 beer, it's a separate trip

Doh! My apologies Darin, I misread that. I hope you can stop by next time you're up here. I have over 60 tins open at the moment. Madman, I hope you can make it over or to the club meetings too. Drop me a line when you're in town.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No worries! I should be in Denver around May 27th or so and, if time allows, would love to visit.
Lol ... 60 tins?? I thought my 20-30 was getting out of control!! :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Maybe the quality of life in Colorado has improved or could have just turned to pot, yet you can't smoke that stinking tobacco pipe in our restaurant, sir.
I'd settle for them just leaving it up to the restaurant.
The low humidity in Colorado sounds enticing however...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Be prepared to be sucking wind for a week or more. I went to a town( my father in law's place) that was at 9000 ft and even after ten days it was tough. I went skiing (Loveland Basin) after just 3 days and thought I was going to die from lack of air. Like an idiot I went skiing 2 more times( Breckinridge and Winter park) and was dying the whole time. Skiing above the tree line( 12,000 ft) is stupid beyond belief, don't do it, unless you have been there a few weeks.
I was the first at my school to charge 50 an ounce(1975), it was Red bud and it was as sticky as it got. A joint would start puking resin half way through, I sold it as fast I could get it, hell I paid 400.00 a pound for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.