PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
There isn't much for me to say=almost all of the clever things have been written.
Frankly, if I did see the pipe on smokinpipes, I would have let it pass. It really is unattractive, even though I believe in the mantra (and repeat it often) 'you can't smoke grain, you can't smoke grain..."
I have a Will Purdy that is, I believe, quite ugly.
Unfortunately, it is not a magical pipe by any means. It smokes ok, but after reading all of the reviews on Mr. Purdy, I was a little disappointed.
NateKingBentApple_zps94282110.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Peck I only have one Roush Billiard, Big, Clunky, but smokes like a dream out of the box, down the road I would like to have a nut sack pipe as mine float now. Not complaining just Facts. :laughat:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just don't smoke it while sitting in cold water lest it shrivel and get even more wrinkles.
Seriously, it might not be a pipe that would gain my attention, but it is in no way shape or form what I would consider as ugly.
Actually, this Larry Roush pipe looks more like your genital reference than it does with the pipe you have. Maybe not so much the shape of the bowl, but rather the texture of it. :wink:
evM4CSu.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Now THAT is what I consider ugly.

But, who knows as it might smoke like a champ and that is all that really matters.

As long as it's comfortable to hold and can easily be clenched I don't give a rats ass.

However, that's not to say I have some limits when I have to choose a pipe and be 'comfortable' with it.

Pipes are indeed strange and subjective little objects...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Peck, congrats on that superb smoker. I have to admit, the pipe is not my style either, but happy for you that it's got those magical properties we all look for. Well done.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Glad it smokes well like magic for you, Peck.
I have to say, I really like that shape. In fact, those bulbous "apple," "cutty" and other shapes by Roush are the ones I like best.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Given the testicular resemblance, the "wedding" band is rather unfortunate in placement. All that aside, I'd smoke it!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am the collector of ugly pipes in my friend circle. Bear that in mind when I say: That is a cool pipe, Peck!
:wink:
:clap:

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
To choose one Holy Grail from my collection would be unwise since I have several that fit that description so I'll play along with that caveat. Were I to choose what pipe is my Holy Grail for Walkabout ( I'm choosing this because it's a year round, every day, must do no matter the weather ) and since I can meet with serious winds, rain, sleet, snow etc. it becomes important that it's a pipe that keeps lit, requires only a tamp once and again and smokes whatever tobacco I have chosen to smoke to ash and finishes when I get to the SL500 in time for me to give Levi his treats. I have chosen the Dr's. Pipe Buddha since it replayed this today as it does no matter the tobacco and is a flake lovers dream to smoke, today it was Best Brown Flake.
15226172718_cbcce1c8e7.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
How long does it take you to smoke a bowl? It looks like the chamber is on the small side.
Looks like an elephant nut sack to me, but if it smokes like you say who are we to judge?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
peckinpahhombre:
Just a note of caution: Never smoke this pipe at a lacrosse match lest it be mistaken for the ball which, if memory serves, was originally made by Native Americans from a deer's scrotum stuffed with hair!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Anyone else have a magical smoking pipe?
Well, since my focus is Family Era Barlings, I have a number of them. But I also have Von Erck pipes, and all of those fall into the category as well. During a long relaxed evening bull session Saturday evening at the WCP lounge, with the Guss brothers, I enjoyed a bowlful of Compton's #10 in a large Von Erck blasted Dublin. That bowl went for 90 minutes of effortless sipping, without needing a relight, even when I left it a couple of times to get drinks from the bar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I did a double take when I saw the photo of your Danish?— Scandanavian at least— freehand. I pulled mine out of the rack and find it says

"Harcourt- Hand carved in Denmark", with letter O above the markings, which are read with stem pointing down.(!)
But the resemblance is uncanny. The stem has a square detail where yours is round, at the top turning. I think I got it about 50 years ago.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I wouldn't call my Sav Roma ugly....but it sure isn't fancy or eye grabbing. Smoked awesome though.
It also looks nothing like someone's wedding tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.