PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
As for water. . . .it's your whisky, drink it as you please.
That said, the simple chemical truth is that adding a bit of water does slightly lower the alcohol level which means that certain compounds will find it more difficult to stay in solution. The flavor and aroma of the dram will change for certain as those compounds come out of solution to some degree -- most consider it to improve the flavor and aroma, but you decide.
You can easily see this with a simple experiment of your own, two drams side-by-side in identical glasses, one with a tablespoon or less of water in it, the other neat. You will be able to discern a difference. You can decide which you prefer.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Lots of suggestions, I have plenty of tasting to do in the future...

For some reason, I didn't find Ardbeg 10 to be so heavy in peat, at least not compared to its reputation. Perhaps that's what I get for having had Lagavulin, Talisker and Laphroiag first. Still a wonderful whisky.

An interesting comprimise when it comes to water; my father's technique, which I prefer (possibly only because it's what I know), is to rinse the glass with water and empty it before pouring the whisky. The drops of water left in it won't be so noticeable, but should help to open up the palate a bit. I would probably still add a bit of water to a cask strength, however. Anything over 100 proof could be had neat, sure, and I've done so, but it's hard to tase much past the burn.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
As for the water, I was skeptical as well - until I actually tried it.
I have tried it, not my cup of tea. That being said, I'm not so against it that I never ever do it. I have been known to use the following method:
An interesting comprimise when it comes to water; my father's technique, which I prefer (possibly only because it's what I know), is to rinse the glass with water and empty it before pouring the whisky. The drops of water left in it won't be so noticeable, but should help to open up the palate a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.