PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vondutch68

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
I have 5 minutes to get this in (Mountain time zone). I just want to remember all those that lost their lives in the Pearl Harbor attack and all the ones that survived that awful day. This smoke is for you.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I hang my head in shame. It being a workday I forgot to acknowledge such an important day in the history of the United States. I'm silly, crass, often rude and even in some cases behave ungentlemanly but I am patriot. My thanks go out to all who served, not just at Pearl, but in WWII. I still own a set of bomber's wings from my grandmother's fiance' who lost his life in service to our country before she met my gerandad.
I have been contemplating a new tat lately and have come up with some ideas. I think some patriotic ink work is long overdue. MAybe then I won't let such an important day pass unacknowledged.
His wing look like this:
wings3.jpg

vondutch68

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
Very nice baron. I know it is easy to take things for granted. My Grand Dad was an engineer gunner on a B-17 in WWII and my dad was a Naval Aviator in Korea. Those guys had stones, as do all the vets that have served in war time.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I had three uncles that served in WWII, two in Europe and one in the Pacific. They never talked much about their experiences over there and I never asked them about it. I'm sure they saw a lot of horrific things in that conflict. My Uncle Buck was a B-17 mechanic and he did once mention that he pulled a lot of shot-up bodies out of those planes after they returned. Some of them were friends of his.
Smokey

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The belly and turrt gunners were sitting ducks. Thos emen were no joke and have nothing buy my resoect and adminration.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The opening sentence of FDR's famous speech, as he dictated it to his secretary, Grace Tully:

"Yesterday comma December 7 comma 1941 dash a date which will live in infamy dash the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan period."

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Wife's father was at Wheeler AFB during the attack (the air bases were bombed before they hit Pearl Harbor). He passed away a few years ago but all he ever said about that day was "it was a bad day".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We have one survivor in our town, he is 91 and not getting along well. Soon, there will be none.
I did enjoy dinner last night with a co-pilot of a B-52 bomber who was shot down in Vietnam. I saw his Purple Heart (with cluster) pin on his jacket lapel and asked about his service. He said he dropped bombs on communists for six months, than lived with them for six years as their guest (released '73). When he got up from the table, he uses a cane from the injuries during captivity. It made my night, meeting a real American hero, at what have otherwise been a boring political dinner.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My wife's grand father was a mechanic at Pearl Harbor. Her grand mother told me that he was working in one of the ships and forgot a tool in his truck. So he went to get it and as he opened the truck a Japanese plane flew over him and dropped a bomb on the ship he was working on. She said with a smile," He was a forgetful man, but that day forgetfulness saved his life." She also said it was a terrifying day because she did not know what happened to him and he came home so late that night, but he was luckier than many because he did come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.