PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Hard to beat a Morgan Bones pipe for the price, and they color nicely as you smoke them. As smokers I've found that they routinely smoke as good or better than higher priced offerings from other manufacturers.

Reactions: Cap and _celeborn_

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
celeborn, I also have a Savinelli 601 churchwarden my wife gave me for Christmas about ten years ago, and I find it an excellent pipe. Churchwardens are especially good for smoking in an arm chair, not so much for moving around the house or outdoors. Savinelli makes many moderately priced pipes, and they own Rossi which makes many series of somewhat less expensive pipes in Savinelli shapes that smoke just as well, but have slightly less fancy finishes. Rossi are quite reasonably priced.

Reactions: _celeborn_

_celeborn_

Lurker
Oct 26, 2022
celeborn, I also have a Savinelli 601 churchwarden my wife gave me for Christmas about ten years ago, and I find it an excellent pipe. Churchwardens are especially good for smoking in an arm chair, not so much for moving around the house or outdoors. Savinelli makes many moderately priced pipes, and they own Rossi which makes many series of somewhat less expensive pipes in Savinelli shapes that smoke just as well, but have slightly less fancy finishes. Rossi are quite reasonably priced.
I would really love to see your 601!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
That's what the forum is for! You can learn from other people's stories too.

i own a churchwarden 601 by Savinelli (ofc Briar) that is my first and only pipe, I want to expand my collection now, then looking around I found out pear pipes were cheaper so I wanted to know if they're worth buying,

But after reading all of this suggestions I'll rather save a bit more money and just take another more durable briar pipe,

Few but good is better than a lot but bad!
These are my two pearwood Pokers.
Both are very good smokers.
One has been in my regular rotation for over three years and it's in great condition.
Both have a nice thick chamber wall, probably why neither smoke hot.
Didn't notice any odd taste when new but like cob pipes, any taste would disappear after a few bowls.

Won this one on ebay for $3.15. [Looks better IRL]

pipe B&B Pear Wood Poker $3.25.jpg

This one was $15, also won on ebay,
Pear wood poker $15aud + $15 postage.jpg

I've also got six MM cobs in regular rotation.
Also very good smokers.

_celeborn_

Lurker
Oct 26, 2022
These are my two pearwood Pokers.
Both are very good smokers.
One has been in my regular rotation for over three years and it's in great condition.
Both have a nice thick chamber wall, probably why neither smoke hot.
Didn't notice any odd taste when new but like cob pipes, any taste would disappear after a few bowls.

Won this one on ebay for $3.15. [Looks better IRL]

View attachment 179059

This one was $15, also won on ebay,
View attachment 179060

I've also got six MM cobs in regular rotation.
Also very good smokers.
Both gorgeous, I love the second one

Reactions: chopper

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I can't speak for pear wood, but i was gifted a churchwarden made from olive wood, very similar. It started to burn out the second time I smoked a bowl. It's been sitting in my closet for 6 years waiting on repair and mud. So, I wouldn't recommend that. But Missouri Meerschaum are cheap, long lasting, and taste great!

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
Hello Celeborn, I currently have 6 inexpensive pipes (gotta Savinelli on the way) and don’t know what any of them are made of. How can you tell?
Got my Savinelli 606ks today! I’ll do a post when I smoke it, I’m afraid of messing it up lol.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
If you are new to pipes and pipe tobacco, buy a handful of cobs and dedicate them to styles of blends. This will avoid ghosting your new briars. Take your time with acquiring new briars after absorbing the ”intelligence” offered here.
I have been a pipe smoker since 1972 and I have learned much from our fellow forum members. Onward and upward!

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
If you are new to pipes and pipe tobacco, buy a handful of cobs and dedicate them to styles of blends. This will avoid ghosting your new briars. Take your time with acquiring new briars after absorbing the ”intelligence” offered here.
I have been a pipe smoker since 1972 and I have learned much from our fellow forum members. Onward and upward!
Thanks edger! I have 8 different blends in my humidor but all I know is that they smell good and taste good, I don’t know what kind of blends they are! How many types are there?