PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think of pear wood pipes as not being durable. I'd stick with briar -- or meerschaum, cob, or clay. Briar is classic pipe material, and it is easy to get good pipes, at low cost, if you stick to established brands. Briar pipes last a long time if maintained, most of a lifetime in many cases

If you need something really inexpensive other than a cob, I'd suggest a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood, about six bucks.

Reactions: _celeborn_

_celeborn_

Lurker
Oct 26, 2022
I think of pear wood pipes as not being durable. I'd stick with briar -- or meerschaum, cob, or clay. Briar is classic pipe material, and it is easy to get good pipes, at low cost, if you stick to established brands. Briar pipes last a long time if maintained, most of a lifetime in many cases

If you need something really inexpensive other than a cob, I'd suggest a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood, about six bucks.
Durability sure is a discriminating factor in choosing a pipe, I'll keep that in count thank you

Reactions: anotherbob

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Pear (and apple) wood are softer than briar and less resistant to heat. Much greater chance of a burn out.
The shanks are more prone to breakage
The grain is also inferior to briar

Only advantage is they are cheap.

But so are corn cobs.
If you are prepared to spend some time looking you can find briars for the same price or slightly more than pear wood.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Scotte has a pipe kit for about $35 with a nice looking pear wood pipe (similar to a 606ks Savinelli), 2 pipe travel case, tobacco pouch, reamer, pipe tool, and other accessories.

The pouch and tools are worth the price of admission. The pipe is decent enough, but I now have others that replaced it for home use. It gets the nod for travel and outdoor use.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
I started with a pear pipe. I didn’t know any better. It looked great on Amazon and honestly. It was ok….ish. But the the other pear pipe I got off Amazon was total junk. In saying that Mr Brog makes some nice pear pipes for very little money. So give them some thought. But no….they don’t last as long and for the money. A decent cob or two or basket briar or beginner briar is better.
Also side note. The shiny finish will not last more than 2 bowls because pear being a fruit wood has thicker fibres that after a bit of heat and moisture absorption make the outside of the pipe seem like sand paper( this is for the Amazon pipes) apparently less so for Mr Brog

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you need less expensive pipe, consider Morgan Bones pipe. They are briar and with care, will last very long. When you have more fund, go with well known brand pipe from well respected vendor. That way, if something is wrong with unsmoked brand new pipe, there won't be any issue getting you money back.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My first pipe was a pear wood, from JoyOldElf on Amazon:

joyoldelf.jpg

I can personally corroborate @OzPiper on the point that pear wood is less heat-resistant; far less. My last few times smoking it, I would sip as gentle as if I were nursing a thimble of brandy, but that made little difference. Once I got my first briar (a Savinelli Mattone 601 bent billiard), its only use to me was as a way of trying aromatics I thought might ghost my Sav. In the end, that's precisely what happened--Vauen Auenland Evening Mixture was the last bowl I ever smoked in it, in what I call a "fatal" ghosting. But it served me well in the beginning days.

They are cheap, yes, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably would've gone with a cob out of the gate. But it is what it is, just part of the learning journey. 🤷‍♂️

_celeborn_

Lurker
Oct 26, 2022
My first pipe was a pear wood, from JoyOldElf on Amazon:

View attachment 178777

I can personally corroborate @OzPiper on the point that pear wood is less heat-resistant; far less. My last few times smoking it, I would sip as gentle as if I were nursing a thimble of brandy, but that made little difference. Once I got my first briar (a Savinelli Mattone 601 bent billiard), its only use to me was as a way of trying aromatics I thought might ghost my Sav. In the end, that's precisely what happened--Vauen Auenland Evening Mixture was the last bowl I ever smoked in it, in what I call a "fatal" ghosting. But it served me well in the beginning days.

They are cheap, yes, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably would've gone with a cob out of the gate. But it is what it is, just part of the learning journey. 🤷‍♂️
That's what the forum is for! You can learn from other people's stories too.

i own a churchwarden 601 by Savinelli (ofc Briar) that is my first and only pipe, I want to expand my collection now, then looking around I found out pear pipes were cheaper so I wanted to know if they're worth buying,

But after reading all of this suggestions I'll rather save a bit more money and just take another more durable briar pipe,

Few but good is better than a lot but bad!