PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
Hi. I wanted to get some ideas about a good pipe to start with and if a Pear wood Brog would be a viable option. I have already ordered a corn cob pipe, but feel a little goofy using it in public. I don't want to spend lots trying this out and am overseas so shipping is already against me. How might I do with a Brog? Is there another option that is also less expensive besides the corn cob?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might want to start with a briar, because that is one of the classic tobacco pipe materials and there are plenty of

good ones at modest prices. Look at the current offerings of Stanwell Brushed Black pipes in many shapes at

pipesandcigars.com, on sale for $49.95, and Chapuis-Comoy pipes on tobaccopipes.com in several shapes

for around $32 to $45. Either one is a good briar pipe and will serve you well for years, decades, or for life.

There's nothing wrong with the Brog pipes, but pear wood isn't quite as durable as briar. I can go on about

modestly priced briar pipes; it seems to be a specialty of mine. But I'll leave you with those suggestions.

Welcome to Forums.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
but feel a little goofy using it in public.
To be blunt...Piss on em if they don't like it. I'm a Cob smoker thru and thru. I am not makin a fashion statement...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want to pull people's chains with a cob -- and I love cobs -- put on a sports jacket and tie and

go out strolling smoking your cob. Play against type. I think they're great. Good for lunting (walking

while smoking) since they are so light weight.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoy my Brog. Perhaps the pear will not last as long as briar. Will it last for many years, if cared for propererly? Certainly!

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
Grab a Dr. Grabow. Pretty cheap, so you don't have to worry too much. I love mine, it's a beaut of a smoke.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Last Christmas my mom gave me a pear wood pipe, one advertised on amazon as "one of a kind smoking pipe". At first I didn't expect much out of it, it soon turned into a pipe I smoked my favorite blend at the time with. They may need more attention than a briar in terms of cleaning and whatnot, but it will give you a glimpse into pipe smoking and if it's for you or not.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
A few members here sell perfectly fine refurbished estate briar pipes for around $15. Most of mine are estate pipes I bought a couple at a time from Ebay and cleaned them up myself. It's not very hard, a little work and you have a nice pipe. Now get some quality tobacco, best to get a little from the main food groups. An aromatic, burley and Virginian. You can go through the tobacco reviews and see what people think about the blends. You of course you want to watch out for words like Latakia and Perique as these are condiments to the main food groups and best to wait and see what hits your palate nice.
Craig

jsponge

Lurker
Sep 7, 2014
I, like many others started out with a cob. Yes, it may look funny. Yes, some people might stare. But...... You're going to feel a lot worse if you spend a ton of money and realize it's not for you, won't you? At least that was my thought when I began. I bought a couple cheap cobs and tried a few different blends out. Now, I'm hooked, and my PAD is already in full swing! LOL If not a cob, then I'm sure you can find SOMETHING online that's fairly affordable and won't break the bank. But don't sweat it, man. It's not your "audience" you need to please. This is a past time for YOU.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
Well I hear some of you clearly about the perception of others issue. I have to maintain a certain image for my job and the corn cob pipe look would create some issues. So, hoping to find some other option. Are there cheap briars that are decent?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
yeah, the pear wood 'image' is one of extraordinary attention to form for cheaper than real briar.

I've got a Ropp Cherry wood pipe, and I swear it smells like a hardwood fire when I smoke it. It's very nice, too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jjm1, plenty of inexpensive briars that are fine smokers. Re-read my post at the top of this thread.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Though I like my cobs, and agree with weezel, if you want to appear a bit more upscale with a cob you should check out Walker Briar Works

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/designer_cobs.html

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Well as a newbie i dont have much tocompere with, bumuch to comperet my first pipe was a Mr. Brog. I bought it because it wasless expensive then a Briar (I had the same problem with sippment costs).toady I have got me a nother one a Briar from Gasparini and I like them both. again as a newbie I dont have much to compere to, but cosudering all factors i thing buying a Mr.Brog was a good chioce for me .

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I never owned the Brog pear wood so I can not comment on it. I can say the Dr. Grabow is a great pipe for the price, I've had one for years and still smoke it. Welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.