Peak Irony: Old Codger Johnny Rotten Says, "Get Off My Lawn"!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
This might be the last nail in the coffin. Punk is officially dead and Johnny Rotten killed it. Punks world-wide are now on notice to reassess their values of antiestablishmentarianism. Hurts my heart.

I never got into punk or any music that required a lifestyle change. I was more in a John Cougar, Springsteen, Talking Heads sort of world growing up. I never understood "picking" a clique and then buying all of the music, clothes, and room decor that goes with it. I remember kids lining up at Merry-Go-Round and Chess King at the Malls to buy $400 leather pants, leather jackets, and then sewing cheap patches all over them to look like street urchins. In college, there was this one guy... he had a green mohawk, about fifty safety pins in his face, always had on black ripped up concert shirts, and he smelled like rotting potatoes. He was like the only punk on the entire campus. We would always reflect and wonder about the isolated "punk rocker" on campus. I was in a Physics class with him, and we were assigned to do a project together "Yeh me." It turns out the guy was a genius, when he wasn't stoned. I ran into him about twenty years ago at a Kinkos, and he is now a self-help guru, and does motivational speaking, sporting blonde hair wearing corduroy and ties. I see him every now and then on talk shows, talking about "unlocking potential." Ha ha.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
"It's better to burn out than it is to rust."
God love him, he should have followed Neil's advice.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"People put too much effort into helping “homeless people”..."
Yeah, my well of compassion is pretty much tapped dry after so many long years of completely fraudulent misuse of it. The sky can only fall just so many times before a rational person finally says, "You know what? Fuck it. Starve."

"Homeless" is a word that encompasses many different types of situations. There are those that are truly down and out because of luck, situation, or circumstances. In this, I feel the most sorry for their kids. They are usually invisible, because they may be staying in someone's garage or living in their car. I have known kids that went home every night to sleep in a car, and yet they were keeping their grades up and doing very well, despite the hardships of home.
Then there are the mentally ill. There is a huge variety amongst those. Some are returned veterans that just couldn't integrate back into society, or people that to no fault of their own just started hearing voices or any number of other things happened.
Then, we have the "Into the Wild" types. People (kids mostly) that just dropped out of society and migrate. You don't usually see these type panhandling. But, you might see them in a tent in the park... or beach.
Then there are just as many other situations that are as diverse as the rest of us.
I don't feel bad for walking by a panhandler, but they don't make me angry. I am more pissed at the vendors in the mall selling perfumes and spraying crap on me to buy their new product. At least homeless people don't spit on me. They are merely asking... I am more likely to get pissed at some strange religion knowing on my door to talk to me about their... whatchamacallit. Or, telemarketers. Door to door religions, mall vendors, and telemarketers piss me off way more than a bum with a cardboard sign.
Then, sometimes I will drop a few bucks on someone, just depends on my mood and access to cash at that moment.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Yep, the well is dry. I'm fresh out of compassion and shits to give.
The homeless are a real problem, EVERYWHERE they are allowed to thrive.
Here in Vegas they made a bunch of Urban Trails (because some asshole wanted a plaque on his wall) and those Trails are infested with homeless camps. No sane person can use them.
As a matter of fact several have had multiple stabbings, drug overdoses and assaults.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Great video clip brian64, it is very disheartening to see the effects of drugs but there is a glimmer of hope in the back 3rd of the video. Man, I hate drugs.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I also think it's a joke that the city counsel members referred to it as a housing problem. I wonder why they cant accept it for what it is and deal with it accordingly.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Round them suckers up and make them work. Got no compassion for lazy fucks. I broke corn, picked cotton, pulled indigo in rice fields. They better than me. You don’t contribute to society you got no place in it. Too strong, it’s time people speak the truth instead platitudes .

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So what do any of you actually do to help with the homeless population? I don't do much, frankly. I do provide support for Burbank Temporary Aid, which has been successful at helping people find employment and a new start with their program, but it's a drop in the bucket. So besides complaining and feeling morally superior while enjoying your drug of choice, what do any of you do?

I don't think that we are entitled to do anything. I don't complain about them. A percentage chose to be there, some want to be there, and some may actually suffering and need help, but there are people all over that need help. I do what I can when I can, but there are people that need help at all levels of society. I do what I can when I can, and sleep well all night long.
As to them camping on some rich shit's beach... tough luck for him. My yard gets used as a car lot when out town has events at the river. I just put my signs out to stay off my lawn. Yell at those who don't pay attention, and just bite the bullet when someone get away with parking in my yard. If you're gonna claim a part of this Earth as your own, you gotta fight to keep it, or move. :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I also pay taxes, taking out Minumium dispersal of my IRA at 76, it’s a good hit, something for Washington DC to Squander something that took over 40 yrs to acquire, and I don’t camp out on somebody’s lawn or shit in the street.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
So much compassion, it’s overwhelming. I remember a passage from John or it might have been Luke...”and Jesus said fuck ‘em those lazy bastards can get a job”.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
So much compassion, it’s overwhelming. I remember a passage from John or it might have been Luke...”and Jesus said fuck ‘em those lazy bastards can get a job”.
Compassion and being taken for fools are very different.
Homelessness has become a cottage industry. Panhandling pays off an keeps them in their vice of choice. Theft is rampant in areas of concentrated homeless activity.
That doesn't even take into account that government and NGOs make money with their homeless initiatives.
"Compassion" has left the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.