PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Put the top down on the Jeep and took the wife and kids for a little road trip today. Not far, just to Ruston, LA. It’s a small city, about an hour from here, but the area is locally famous for their peaches, and it’s the beginning of peach season. There’s a little farm there that makes some killer peach ice cream. So we got some ice cream and a half bushel of peaches, and on the way back I decided to show the kids where Bonnie and Clyde were ambushed. I was pretty disappointed in the shape that the markers were in. I had heard that people were chipping off pieces of it to keep, but they were in really bad shape.
4DF0BA89-1DC8-47E0-BC65-8A3227C9979A.jpeg1D28A3F7-A09E-4863-AA93-36D9B22A40E7.jpeg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Why do they have a memorial at all? They were horrible people that committed plenty of armed robberies against Innocent people along with plenty of other crimes.
Because they are the stuff that legends are made of. Billy the Kid, Jesse James, John Dillinger and a bunch of others are of the same sort, murderous outlaws whose colourful stories somehow end up making them heroes.
Stories are important on a very deep level and don't always correspond to our views on morals and ethics.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Why do they have a memorial at all? They were horrible people that committed plenty of armed robberies against Innocent people along with plenty of other crimes.
If you read the plaque, you’ll see that it’s not a memorial to Bonnie & Clyde, but rather to the law enforcement officers that finally brought them down. That said, some people do treat it like it’s a memorial to Bonnie and Clyde, but that certainly wasn’t the intention markers.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you read the plaque, you’ll see that it’s not a memorial to Bonnie & Clyde, but rather to the law enforcement officers that finally brought them down. That said, some people do treat it like it’s a memorial to Bonnie and Clyde, but that certainly wasn’t the intention markers.
Exactly. It’s not a memorial to Bonnie and Clyde but rather the fact they were caught.

I found a picture of some of these forum funboys having a party:
NerdParty_org.jpg

Put the top down on the Jeep and took the wife and kids for a little road trip today. Not far, just to Ruston, LA. It’s a small city, about an hour from here, but the area is locally famous for their peaches, and it’s the beginning of peach season. There’s a little farm there that makes some killer peach ice cream. So we got some ice cream and a half bushel of peaches, and on the way back I decided to show the kids where Bonnie and Clyde were ambushed. I was pretty disappointed in the shape that the markers were in. I had heard that people were chipping off pieces of it to keep, but they were in really bad shape.
View attachment 82805View attachment 82806
Whatcha gonna make with the peaches?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Whatcha gonna make with the peaches?
Nothing if the kids keep eating them up ?
I’m partial to a good cobbler, myself, but I may have to make another trip! I guess I should’ve gotten a bushel. My great grandmother used to pickle them, and they were really good. I don’t really drink anymore, but I bet they’d be great in one of those melomels you like to make.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So, Lindsey loves Justin. I didn't know that. There's an interesting monument in a Missouri cemetery defending a group of people reputed to have killed a bunch of others. It's another posthumous defense. It looks like the stone monument, as near as I can tell, is a tribute to Bonnie and Clyde, and the metal marker is to the law enforcement people who gunned them down. I think the "overkill" of gunfire reflects Bonnie and Clyde's reputation as shooters and probably kept four or five lawmen from ending up dead. B&C weren't going to stop the car and talk it over with the cops.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's a part of history, good or bad. We really shouldn't idolize them, but shouldn't forget them either. There are those who seems to have already forgotten Hitler and others and bending over backwards to some that are about as nice as Stalin. We shouldn't change or forget what happened. Making them pretty won't help at all.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It is amazing what we make legends out of. They were probably the most inept criminals in history. Their robberies netted them less than $5K total.
I don’t think they were really in it for the money. Some people are sick in the head. I think they just enjoyed it.
I wouldn’t say they were inept though. It took multiple law enforcement agencies and some damn fine police work to finally bring them down. The lawmen involved were pretty slick on setting up the ambush, using Methvin’s dad as bait.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a friend and mentor who, as legend had it, started young with a bank robbery and did time. He was an example of someone who could be charming and warm as sunshine and like the devil himself, though so far as I know, he didn't kill anyone. He lived in NYC for some years before snow caused the roof of his apartment to cave in on him, and he persisted until he collected from the insurance company and retired on the proceeds. He really had a wide range of goodness and badass. Luckily, I remember his kindness and incisive intelligence.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Nothing if the kids keep eating them up ?
I’m partial to a good cobbler, myself, but I may have to make another trip! I guess I should’ve gotten a bushel. My great grandmother used to pickle them, and they were really good. I don’t really drink anymore, but I bet they’d be great in one of those melomels you like to make.
Peach pie, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.