Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm still chasing that book (English version). It pops occasionally, but usually in the $50 to $75 price range, which I've always found just a tad too rich for my blood.

I also have a signed copy of Rare Smoke. I guess Hacker must have made the pipe show rounds hocking his signed books.

I have this book I got years ago. It’s a little dated now, but I still enjoy looking through it while smoking a pipe View attachment 37561

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have this book I got years ago. It’s a little dated now, but I still enjoy looking through it while smoking a pipe View attachment 37561
The Lopes book is a highly sought after book. I have it in English translation. I don't think it's particularly good, and it's certainly very dated.
I have most of the books shown in this thread, the exception being Roan's beautiful book on Comoy Blue Ribands, and I have a number of others besides.
I didn't know that Rare Smoke was a single pressing. I have that along with his other book on pipe collecting. Like many seminal researchers, Hacker got a lot wrong, and his work has been superceded by others. But as a general introduction, taken with a small mountain of salt, it's worth reading.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Jesse. I'll pass on the Lopes book, unless I find a bargain. Abe Books does have a copy available, at $99. Last November, they had one at $51, but it went fast.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The most well written, researched and photographed pipe book I've encountered is Mark Irwins recent "The Peterson Pipe Book". He recently was given an industry award for the book. It is a must have for any Peterson fan.

I picked up this Robin Crole book cheap, a few years ago. Robin was associated with GBD pipes. There is a copy on Ebay now, for $14 shipped.

Pipe- The Art & Lore of a Great Tradition - Robin Cole.jpg

I found this rare book on GBD, through an English book seller and with the help of a past forum member who lived in England. Unfortunately, it only covers the business side of GBD with very little info on pipe making, etc.

The GBD_St. Claude Story (1).jpg

Rare Smoke by Richard Carleton Hacker has arrived and I have read a significant part of it. One thing I I don’t understand @guylesss - If he has interviewed Dunhill company stalwarts, how can he get so much facts wrong ? On similar lines ... since I am interested in Sasieni, since he interviewed Alfred Sasieni I would take his writing at face value, but try to confirm all his facts independently.

I am not sure ? why am I chasing these rabbit holes, but it’s fun so far

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Did Hacker die? I can't find much on him, but did find this cigar you tube video from last year. His noteriety now is wine, spirits and cigars. I think he also delved into shotguns after pipes. Its kind of funny, around the 15 minute mark, he writes about fact accuracy and his research to get it right.

Last edited:

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Did Hacker die? I can't find much on him, but did find this cigar you tube video from last year. His noteriety now is wine, spirits and cigars. I think he also delved into shotguns after pipes. Its kind of funny, around the 15 minute mark, he writes about fact accuracy and his research to get it right.

Opps. Mea culpa! I didn't mean to kill Mr Hacker, or even spread false rumor of his demise--I meant John Loring.

My copy of “The Gentle Art Of Smoking” by Alfred H Dunhill has also arrived, and I have finished reading end to end. His style of writing is much more readable than his grandfather’s.
Some of my other rarities are in storage but I found this one. This is the 5th impression of this book printed in 1973.

View attachment 37555

This is an excellent book!

Reactions: guylesss

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
This book, by Fred Hanna, who sometimes posts on these forums, and was the blender of Wilderness and Legends tobaccos for McClelland, is a wonderful read, with amazing photos of his incredible straight grain pipes. The forwards by Greg Pease and Tad Gage are also fun. Yes, Fred is very opinionated, but I find his opinions to be in line with my own.
The book is now only available as a Kindle e-book from Amazon. I haven't seen any copies, recently, on the used book market.

1598562268307.png

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Another good book is Milton Sherman's 1970 All About Tobacco. It is an in depth and fascinating discussion of pipe tobacco, pipes, cigars and cigarettes. It is available on the used book market from $8.00 to more than $800.00.

Attachments

• 1598563364451.png
    1598563364451.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: cshubhra